We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do in Kansas City

USA
5 posts
Save Topic
What is there to do in Kansas City

My husband and I are going to Kansas City July 4,5, 6 2018. We are going to a Royals game on the 4th but are looking for other things to do that week. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are in our late 30's my husband likes beer and Barbecue. We will have a car. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do in Kansas City

Lots of great breweries here. Boulevard is our most well-known, you might enjoy a tour there. There are also a lot of smaller breweries popping up around downtown. Great BBQ can be found all over the city. I always recommend the original gas station location of Joe's Kansas City or Jack Stack, but you will get different favorites from everyone. There are also BBQ tours.

As far as attractions, I'd recommend the River Market area- the Steamboat Arabia museum there is generally recommended as a "can't miss." I'll admit it didn't sound appealing to me before I went but I was so pleasantly surprised! Union Station/Liberty Memorial/WWI museum (at the opposite end of the streetcar line from the River Market) are also worth a look. Even if you're not interested in WWI, you can buy a ticket just to go to the top of the tower, which I recommend for the views alone. The Country Club Plaza (a few miles south of downtown) is an iconic KC location- interesting architecture, restaurants, shopping. Nelson Atkins art museum (near the Plaza) is a nice indoor option on a hot day. The Negro Leagues Baseball museum is also really interesting! There are also some unique neighborhoods to check out- West Side, Westport, Brookside, West Bottoms, and several good parks if you're into that- Loose Park, Berkley River Front Park, Cliff Drive.

Do you know where you're staying? That might help narrow down some recommendations, but KC is easy to navigate by car, so everything will be pretty convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas City River Market
Kansas City River Market
75 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Union Station
Union Station
2,059 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Country Club Plaza
Country Club Plaza
1,755 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
Negro Leagues Baseball...
830 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Loose Park
Loose Park
277 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
USA
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do in Kansas City

We are going to stay in the power and light district I think for at least the night of the 4th of July. We have a friend who recently moved to Overland Park so we might stay out there a night as well. I was trying to decide if we should just stay in the city the whole time and have our friend meet up with us there or if we should go out to Overland Park.

Thanks for all the great info about Kansas City.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do in Kansas City

This site compares a lot of the BBQ restaurants. http://www.kansastravel.org/kansascitybbq/

Unlike some of the regional BBQs, KC is not just one type, but a spectrum. That page suggests different places depending on what you are looking for. For example beef ribs, lamb, nicer restaurants, or something for a vegitarian in your party.

Reply to: What is there to do in Kansas City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;