We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90

Maryland
Level Contributor
254 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90

I'm planning a trip for our family in a rented RV. We are leaving from Bozeman, making a stop in Billings (overnight) then Little Big Horn stop, then on to Rapid City. (and other places later)

\

We will be driving from Little Big Horn to Rapid City, SD on the second Monday in August. I'm concerned about route 212. It is one lane in each direction and my husband claims more skill in driving an RV than I believe. Last time he was in an RV was 35 - 40 years ago. I know Montana has either a high speed limit or no speed limit. Is it much safer to travel Rt 90 to Rapid City or Rt 212. The difference in time is about 1 hour more for Rt 90, which appears to be a national route and would be a divided highway. The RV is 25 feet long. I'd love to hear about the driving conditions on both 212 and 90 across Montana. I know we are driving thru Sturgis the second week of lots of motorcycles. I booked the RV and plane tickets before I had this information. Thank you in advance for

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Big Horn Resort
Big Horn Resort
376 Reviews
Billings, MT
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Montana
Montana
United States
5 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
254 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90

OK, I tried again and this time got the same time 4 hours and 15 minutes. for both. Would you choose 212 or 90. We are trying to get there fast as it is a long drive.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90

I've only driven 212 once and it wasn't any faster for us than I90. I think the mapping programs all recommend it as being faster because the mileage is lower, so now the traffic has increased and defeated that advantage. Another thing to consider is that services are very limited. I remember 1 gas station in Broadus and not much else. Bottom line - I'd recommend staying on the Interstate.

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90

I would recommend Interstate 90 only because of the rally. There will be too many inexperienced riders on Hwy 212 and you wouldn't have a lot of room to avoid an accident. Any other time, I would say Hwy 212. Even I-90 will be crowded so be careful. A mix of motorcycles, big rigs, etc. will make for an interesting trip. We stay home during the rally.

Maryland
Level Contributor
254 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90

Thank you so much. OMG the motorcycles are all over, it didn't occur to me I had to watch out for them except the blackhills, but of course they come from all over the country. I learned about Sturgis a couple months after booking the RV and flights. I called and asked about a tour in Deadwood and found the news.

Last year, I booked a trip to SW Utah and found out Jeep Week was on our vacation. We coexisted in Moab. Plenty of places to eat for all of us. I need a list of places across the US that draw crowds from across the country on a set of dates. What else is there beside Sturgis and Jeep Week?

Mentioned in this post
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Utah
Utah
United States
Moab
Moab
Utah
The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90

There are dozens if not 100s of big events across the nation every year. Too many to list here. You just have to pick a place and do research. A post here before you made reservations would have informed you of the rally a long time ago.

Reply to: RV on Rt. 212 from Little Big Horn to Rapid City? or Rt 90
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;