We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Colorado from Texas through NM quick white sands Carlsbad

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
To Colorado from Texas through NM quick white sands Carlsbad

We will be taking off from Houston mid June and taking 17 days to explore NM And CO. Right now I’m trying to determine time for stops in NM on way up. Our first day we are planning to drive a while 10 hours to Carlsbad Caverns and stay the night (recommendations appreciated). My thought was to explore the caverns early that day and then head to white sands to watch the sun set and stay in that area. Wake up the next more and play on the dunes and head to Santa Fe that night. Does this sound doable and like enough time spent to enjoy the sands and the caverns. We will have our daughters 6 & 7 with us as we travel. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks so much

4 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Colorado from Texas through NM quick white sands Carlsbad

Doable but not sure I'd want to spend that little time in Carlsbad Caverns, we spent 2 days there with an 8 year old. The drive to Santa Fe from White Sands is about 4 hours. Plan a stop in San Antonio NM and have a green chile cheese burger at The Owl!! The best of the 2 main places there.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Colorado from Texas through NM quick white sands Carlsbad

You do realize that it's about a 5 hour drive from the Caverns to White Sands?

From the highway, it's a windy seven mile long road up to the Caverns. The earliest you can hike into the Caverns is at 8.30 via the Natural Entrance. The hike in, then exploring the Big Room and taking the elevator back out will take more than just a few hours, especially with little feet tagging along.

I think you're very ambitious wanting to then drive to White Sands for sunset (at just after 8 in June). Perhaps it might be a better idea to take most of the day at the Caverns, then plan for another day at White Sands.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To Colorado from Texas through NM quick white sands Carlsbad

Thanks so much for the information and I will use it to make some adjustments!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,294 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Colorado from Texas through NM quick white sands Carlsbad

As the "Oil business" has both broken up the pavement on the 285 and greatly raised the price of area lodging ... Stop for the night, in Ft. Stockton ... Or drive (in daylight) the 285 ... To the 720 West, at Malaga NM. Direct to Whites City (reservations made) happy trails ... carracar

Reply to: To Colorado from Texas through NM quick white sands Carlsbad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted