We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

My wife and I have an event in Fargo on a Thursday night in September. We are flying into Minneapolis Wednesday evening and Flying out of Minneapolis on Sunday morning. I'm looking for recommendations for things to do, places to see on Friday and Saturday within a reasonable drive to get us back to MSP Saturday night. Preferably a local gem, something special, not to miss food, something only found there.

Thanks for any input!

Eric

Mentioned in this post
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
6 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
6,325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

Are you spending some time in Fargo? There are things to see there such as the cute mid size zoo, Bonanzaville, downtown area. In the sister city of Morehead, Minnesota the viking ship is worth seeing.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g49785-Activities-Fargo_North_Dakota.html

http://www.hcscconline.org/hjemkomst/

Mentioned in this post
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
Bonanzaville USA
Bonanzaville USA
142 Reviews
Fargo, ND
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

Thanks! We have no plan other than a concert in Fargo Thursday night and flying out of MSP early Sunday morning. I will check out your sugestions.

Eric

Mentioned in this post
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

I did that route recently and really enjoyed getting a bit off the path to go to Itasca State Park in Minnesota. The Mississippi River begins there, and the whole area is relaxed in the woods. I only had two hours there and felt I could've stayed there at least several hours longer as there are a number of interesting things there.

Mentioned in this post
Itasca State Park
Itasca State Park
413 Reviews
Lake Itasca, MN
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

If you have the time, consider driving US Hwy 10 either way rather than I94 The US 10 route will provide a better perspective and experience of the area that includes lakes, forests, prairie, and the small towns along the way. There are also numerous State Parks that are close by. Itasca is about an hour North of Detroit Lakes MN. Fargo has really sprawled over the years but the downtown is still interesting with lots of little stores, pubs, craft beer places and such.

It's about 3.5 hrs on I94 and 4.25 hrs via Hwy 10

We used to live in Fargo and now Minneapolis and will be taking the Hwy 10 route this coming Saturday on the first leg of our big road trip to ND, MT, WY, ID and SD. Have driven both many times and always found 10 the best if you want a more scenic route.

Edited: 06 September 2017, 01:35
Mentioned in this post
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

Stop by the Palmer House in Saux Center MN for coffee.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?

Just a little edit and addition. Sauk is with a ‘k’ not ‘x’... just to make sure you can find it. Sauk (called ‘sock’ by the locals) is also the hometown of author Sinclair Lewis. Confirm times on the web if you’re interested in seeing his childhood home. There’s also a paranormal story of the Palmer House. Lastly, great breakfast at Tutti Fruitti. It’s a blend of great old fashion food along with a retail farm during the spring/summer/fall.

My other two stops are in close proximity to Sauk Centre. At the Freeport exit (look for the water tower with the friendly smile) stop for a cone or coffee at Oak Street Station. (Exit and you’ll see the red barn to the right.). You might also want to stop at Charlie’s Cafe (the massive yellow store front) which has great breakfast but is famous for its incredible cinnamon rolls! Freeport is argued to be the inspiration for Lake Wobegon of public radios A Prairie Home Companion/Garrison Keillor.

Okay.. here’s my last jewel. Red Head Cremery! In Brooten its a great success story of economic success in rural Minnesota. A young passionate woman looked to combine her love of cheese with the family farm. Her tour is great, the cheese is awesome and family (we’ve meet several family members) are always warm, informational and great to chat with. If I recall there’s a bit of a gravel road as you approach and you may think you’re on the wrong road, but keep going! It about 16 miles south of Sauk Centre.

Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Reply to: Minneapolis to Fargo, What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted