We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Hi all!

My wife and I had a fantastic visit this spring to South Dakota: DeSmet and the Laura Ingalls Wilder sites, The Badlands NP, The Black HIlls and all the sights there, etc. And we learned about the Teddy Roosevelt NP and the North Dakota Badlands while there.

We LOOOOVED the wide open prairie country of absolutely nothing in SD! And would love to come visit you guys in ND as well for the same reason.

IS there enough stuff to make a weeks' trip worth it? Including the TRNP North and South units?

I'll be reading through the forums here to get a better idea, but any suggestions you might... suggest.. would be greatly appreciated.

---Kristopher---

Mentioned in this post
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
18 replies to this topic
Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Awesome. Thank you. Busy this week so haven't gotten back to reading the forums. But I think We're definitely coming. Looks like an interesting state.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Here is my trip report for our 10 day North Dakota vacation a few years ago. We loved our visit there and could have spent more time -- there's so much to see and do.

https:/…18939644

Edited: 24 December 2017, 20:50
Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Right! This is the one I had kind of been keeping in the back of my mind to probe for ideas. Thanks for posting the link. (With the holidays I haven't had much time to revisit this.)

Merry Christmas All!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Hi Folks,

Well, I think I've read almost enough that we could probably spend a week just driving around ND and seeing stuff. Now comes the hard part of trying to put together an itinerary.

We'll probably shoot for the second week of June. (9-16th?) Is that going to be a good time? We tend to vacation either pre-season or post-season. One of the reasons we WANT to go to ND - There is NO ONE ELSE THERE. We don't like crowds.

We'll probably fly into Bismarck - aim to spend maybe 3 days in TRNP (we want to hike. I hurt my back when we went to the SD Badlands and didn't do much hiking. We're not backpackers, but we like hiking.) We want to hit Mandan/Lewis & Clark stuff (I just finished reading their journals and Ambrose's Bio on Lewis). And we can't go without seeing Lawrence Welk's birthplace. And the Largest Buffalo/Museum in Jamestown .

Think there's enough stuff in and around those areas to explore and make a week out of it?

Mentioned in this post
Bismarck
Bismarck
North Dakota
Mandan
Mandan
North Dakota
Jamestown
Jamestown
North Dakota
North Dakota
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Yes there is enough to do for one week. Day 1 Strasburg and Jamestown. Day 2 Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, Fort Mandan, Knife River Indian Villages NHS. Day 3 Bismarck/Mandan - Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park, ND Heritage Center and State Museum. Days 4,5,6 TR National Parks/Medora.

Have fun in ND.

Mentioned in this post
Jamestown
Jamestown
North Dakota
Mandan
Mandan
North Dakota
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Dear longtimenodak,

That sounds about similar to what I was planning in my head. Thanks for the confirmation! We look forward to seeing everyone this summer!

--Kristopher--

Allentown...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Well, we bought our tickets, and reserved rooms at Eagle Ridge Lodge... so I guess we're committed.

I'll let you know what else we come up with for plans.

Yeehaw!

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)

Exciting! The trip starts to feel more real once you start reserving things!

Reply to: Looking to plan a week in ND (TRNP, etc.)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Dakota
More North Dakota Topics