We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SD to Medora

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
455 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from SD to Medora

On our road trip this summer, we'll be driving from Spearfish to Medora for two nights; then, we'll be heading back home, which is IL.

On the way up from SD, can you give me an idea of how big the towns are that I see on the map? Like, will we have places on the route to stop for gas, food, bathrooms, etc? Or is it pretty desolate? I'd like to determine if we can plan on having places to stop, even fast food, or if we need to buy stuff in Spearfish and plan to eat in the car. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
North Dakota
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from SD to Medora

The most isolated part of the drive will be from Belle Fourche SD (population around 5,000) to Bowman ND (population around 1,600). Driving between the two is about a 2 hour trip. I would fill up the gas tank and have snacks/drinks on hand when you leave Belle Fourche just in case there is not anything available in Buffalo or Ludlow which a quite small. Once you get to Bowman you are about 90 miles from Dickinson ND.

Have always loved the drive between Bowman and Belle Fourche but it can appear desolate to many! Enjoy your trip.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,110 posts
6,099 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from SD to Medora

We drove behind a cement truck (empty) as it was going 70 mph

Its a get it done type drive through grasslands.

There will be others on the road.

If you want, you can route to see the Enchanted Highway as a longer drive to get to Medora.

its well worth seeing while in ND.

Reply to: Driving from SD to Medora
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Dakota
More North Dakota Topics