We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geographic Center of NA?

Allentown...
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Geographic Center of NA?

Last year in SD we had a fun little side trip to the geographical center of the US. Didn't spend a whole lot of time, maybe 15 min at most. Just enough to take some pictures and claim we were there.

So you can imagine we would be interested in seeing the Geographic Center of North America.

So where is it? Rugby? Hanson's Bar in Robinson? or Center, ND?

Since we're only going to snap a picture to claim we were there, it hardly seems worth it to drive the 2+hrs from Bismarck to Rugby....

Mentioned in this post
Bismarck
Bismarck
North Dakota
3 replies to this topic
North Dakota
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geographic Center of NA?

Rugby is considered the geographical center of NA. There is some dispute every few years as to where the actual center of NA is but Rugby has for years had their monument that lays claim to ne the center.

Check, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geographic Center of NA?

Agree on what was said earlier. I recently visited Robinson and Rugby on a trip up to Alaska. I thought it was brilliant that the bar got the trademark after the town of Rugby stopped renewing it. No other reason to stop there other than to have a drink at the "Geographic Center of North America". It's about an hour and a half from Rugby, and for me, wasn't too far out of the way on my trip. Center was on my list as well, but I ended up not stopping there. I've wanted to visit Rugby for some time just because of their claim to fame, but it's really hard to rationalize a trip just for that.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Geographic Center of NA?

If you're going to drive all the way to Rugby just for a 10 minute photo op, continue on another hour to the International Peace Garden and Lake Metigoshe State Park to make that side trip a little more memorable.

https://www.peacegarden.com/

www.parkrec.nd.gov/parks/lmsp/lmsp.html

Mentioned in this post
International Peace Garden
International Peace...
161 Reviews
Dunseith, ND
Lake Metigoshe State Park
Lake Metigoshe State Park
28 Reviews
Bottineau, ND
Reply to: Geographic Center of NA?