We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custer & Mount Rushmore Itinerary

Fort Worth, Texas
4 posts
Custer & Mount Rushmore Itinerary

We have 2 full days (June 26th and June 27th) and are trying to plan them to see the most we can. We are staying in Rapid City. I know this isn't the closest but that's where we're at. These are ideally the things we'd like to fit in to those 2 days. We're planning on picnic lunches and then maybe eating out for dinner.

1. Mount Rushmore (we'd love to see it during the day and at the night showing--is the night showing worth it?)

2. A Drive by of Crazy Horse Memorial (where is the best place to see it from the road?).

3. A tour of Jewel cave we have tickets reserved for an 11:00am on June 27th.

4. Bear Country USA (thinking we might need to cut this out but I think my 3 kids would love it)

5. Sylvan Lake with walk around

6. Needles Hwy

7. Iron Mountain Road

8. Wildlife Loop

2 replies to this topic
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Custer & Mount Rushmore Itinerary

June 26:

Wildlife Loop 1st thing in the a.m.

Drive Iron Mountain Rd from south to north, stopping at Rushmore

Lunch break

Head to Bear Country for the afternoon

Return to Rushmore for the lighting after a dinner break. You could head back to your hotel after Bear Country to rest, relax, and possibly have dinner in Rapid or Keystone before heading to the lighting around 7/730. The lighting ceremony is very worthwhile.

June 27:

Early start at Sylvan Lake to walk around.

Drive the Needles

Head to Jewel Cave for your tour

Crazy Horse (You have time to go in if you choose. If you opt not to, you can take a pic right at the entrance where people drive in.)

Wilson, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Custer & Mount Rushmore Itinerary

Mount Rushmore lighting is well worth it. I would suggest arriving around 8:15 if you want to have seat options and choices

Reply to: Custer & Mount Rushmore Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Dakota