We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With Our Road Trip to South Dakota

Overland Park...
1 post
Help With Our Road Trip to South Dakota

Hello, we are planning a road trip from northeast Kansas, to South Dakota. We are wanting to cover as many of the top attractions as possible. We will be staying in Rapid City for 3 nights and then we will spend 1 night in Sioux Falls. Please could advise as to which places are a "must-see" and help provide some insight into what places and attractions are the most significant. What are some sights or places that are the key points to visit when travelling to South Dakota?

2 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,958 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: Help With Our Road Trip to South Dakota

I recommend that you look for accommodations other than in Rapid City. If you are going to visit the Black Hills, you should stay in the Black Hills. By staying in Rapid City, you will be doing a lot of extra driving just to get to the places you want to see. Look for accommodations in one of the towns in the central BH—Keystone, Hill City or Custer. Depending on what you choose to do in SD, you may also want to spend a night in or near the Badlands.

I also suggest you take a look at the Top Questions to the right of this page (full site, not mobile). There is a lot of useful information about what to see and where to stay in the BH.

And I recommend you order a copy of the free South Dakota Travel Planner and state map from the SD Tourism website: www.travelsd.com

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Help With Our Road Trip to South Dakota

Once you do some more research, we can assist you more. For instance, if you have a list of places you would like to visit, we can help you build an itinerary. The sources Longhorn mentions above are great places to begin. As I have told many posters, what I deem a must see may not be for you. For instance, I deem both Wind & Jewel Caves must sees, but I have no issues like claustrophobia, For those who do suffer from this, the caves would be a definite no.no.

Reply to: Help With Our Road Trip to South Dakota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted