We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas Road Trip

1 post
Save Topic
Texas Road Trip

Me and My boyfriend are thinking about planning a road trip through Texas. Around 10-14 days. We would more than likely fly into and fly back from Dallas airport. We definelty want to see and stay in Fort Worth, Austin and El Paso. We would also like to spend a day or so around Big Bend national park. What would be an ideal route to travel? We love live music and My boyfriend is a big baseball fan. Any ideas/ suggestions would be brilliant. :)

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas Road Trip

Mollie--

If you're flying into DFW airport (as opposed to DAL, which is Dallas Love Field), you'll be landing roughly halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth. Assuming you'll be renting a car, just drive on over to Fort Worth and stay near the places you want to see, do your thing in that city, and then head for Big Bend National Park (BBNP) early one morning.

The trip is a long day's drive--roughly 502 miles out I-20 past Odessa, turning left (south) on TX 329 through Ft Stockton, where the road becomes US 385 all the way into BBNP. In this part of the state, you don't want to let your gas tank ever get too low, as service stations are few and far between. Also make certain you always have plenty of water with you, both for yourselves and for the car (just in case). One day really isn't enough to see BBNP and the surrounding area, especially if you want to do any hiking. Even if you just want to drive, you really need a couple of days to see the park and surrounding towns. Make sure you have hotel reservations ahead of time, as you can end up staying more than 100 miles away if you don't have reservations ahead of time. For Chisos Mountain Lodge, we suggest you use ONLY: https:/…lodging.htm If you can't get reservations from that site, there are none to be had, as that is the official site. The next-closest place to stay is in Terlingua, not too far from the western entrance to the park.

From BBNP, you can head to El Paso either of two ways. Assuming you want something new, I'd suggest heading west through Terlingua, then onto TX 118N to Presidio; then north onto US 67 to Marfa; then northwest on US 90 W, stopping in Valentine to take a photo of the Prada "store" (not really a store, but a work of art [I guess you'd call it a work of art] in the middle of nowhere), then on to Van Horn, where you'll pick up I-10 W to El Paso. This part of the trip is roughly 5.5 hours, and is about 325 miles. Van Horn is a good place to refuel.

The drive from El Paso to DFW is roughly 627 miles (nearly 9 hours driving time) via I-10 to I-20 (appears to be about 35 miles east of Van Horn), and then I-20 all the way to the airport. Hotel space in the middle portion of the trip will be difficult to find (because of the oil & gas boom in the Permian Basin), so I'd plan on doing this as a one-day drive, leaving El Paso fairly early one morning.

Mentioned in this post
DFW Airport Hotel & Conference Center
DFW Airport Hotel...
425 Reviews
Irving, TX
Love Field
Love Field
Dallas, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Big Bend National Park
Big Bend National Park
850 Reviews
Alpine, TX
Odessa
Odessa
Texas
Terlingua
Terlingua
204 Reviews
Big Bend National Park, TX
Marfa
Marfa
Texas
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas Road Trip

For live music, Austin is the place. You can just go crazy. If you want to see Big Bend, I would urge planning for fall so you can enjoy it. If you want to stay in the only accommodation in the park, you need that kind of lead time, anyway, and you likely couldn't book there for this summer. You have to plan efficiently. Dallas to anywhere and anywhere back to Dallas will consume a day each way, as will Austin to El Paso and back. And El Paso to Big Bend National Park isn't a trivial trip, so you can write off a total of a day for down and back. You can't really just spend "a day" around BBNP, because it takes time to get there and even to get down into the park, and it's a 1,200 square mile park.

At any rate, save this link for when you're in Austin. It will let you know who's playing where, and you will have a lot of choices to make.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas Road Trip

Do you know what time of year you are planning this road trip? That will help us guide you for baseball games.

If the drive to west Texas is too much - and yes, it's a long drive. Take a look at staying in Big Spring at The Settles. It's an historic hotel. On my last trip, we stayed in Midland; which was a good half way point from Ruidosa, Tx to Dallas.

A bit more driving, but also a good stop over is San Antonio from Dallas to west Texas. You might spend a couple of days in San Antonio seeing the missions.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Hotel Settles
Hotel Settles
364 Reviews
Big Spring, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas Road Trip

Just curious: what is attracting to you in El Paso? It's not a usual tourist destination.

And as Pepper asked, when will you be making the trip? Lodging in BBNP is difficult during their busy spring break season, so you'd need reservations well in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
230 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas Road Trip

When is this trip? What do you want to do/see in El Paso?

I would suggest skipping El Paso and go to San Antonio instead. You could spend some time in Fort Worth (visit the stockyards) and maybe Dallas. Continue to Austin, great music, and spend some time there. On to San Antonio, lot of things to see and do there. Visit Gruene on your way from Austin to San Antonio.

After San Antonio you could go to BBNP, but like others have said, you need time there and it takes time to get there. It´s a 400 mile trip from San Antonio, and lodging needs to be booked ahead of time. Also, if you´re visiting anytime soon, it´s going to be HOT, so be prepaired. There is a lot to do and see in the BBNP, you need at least 3 nights (2 full days) to enjoy the park.

From BBNP it´s about 530 miles back to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Texas Road Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted