We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DAL for 11 hours

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
DAL for 11 hours

Hi! In early July 2018, We’ve got an 11 hour layover in DAL, Dallas love field airport. I found a reasonably priced rental car. We will have two children ages 6 and 7 with us. Any ideas of what we could do for the day? Flight gets in at 10am and other flight leaves at 9pm. I googled and saw the world aquarium. Are there any places with like outdoor water features for kids? You know, the kind that kids just kind of run through? Or any other ideas ? Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
Love Field
Love Field
Dallas, TX
9 replies to this topic
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DAL for 11 hours

We call those “splash pads” and there are quite a few of them in parks. You’ll need a complete change of clothes for the kids, though. They get soaking wet!

You might look at going to Grapevine Mills Mall. It has the SeaLife Aquarium and LEGO Land which would be great for your kids. There’s also a big carousel inside the mall, and a Rainforest Cafe. It would be a 20-30 minute drive from Love Field.

Mentioned in this post
Grapevine Mills
Grapevine Mills
683 Reviews
Grapevine, TX
Love Field
Love Field
Dallas, TX
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DAL for 11 hours

Awesome I’ll google all of that. thank you so much!!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DAL for 11 hours

You could go over to Klyde Warren Park. They have a splash area. Not quite as large as the rec centers but still a fun place for kids. There are often food trucks lined up at lunch time.

This park is close to the World Aquarium and Perot Museum (spectacular sci museum).

Edited: 12 June 2018, 23:56
Mentioned in this post
Klyde Warren Park
Klyde Warren Park
1,789 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Dallas World Aquarium
Dallas World Aquarium
4,121 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DAL for 11 hours

With a flight arriving at 10 AM and one leaving at 9 PM, you do not really have 11 hours. By the time you get off the plane, corral the family, get your luggage, take the shuttle to the rental car place, and get your car, it will be closer to noon. You need to be back at the airport ~7 PM to return the car, get to the terminal, and pass back through Security. So, more like 7 hours.

I'd suggest just heading downtown, getting lunch, then visiting the World Aquarium and the nearby Perot Museum of Science & Nature. It will be hot out, but Kyde Warren park is also nearby. I would be hesitant to be as far away as Grapevine Mills and have to manage the traffic back to the airport (DAL) between 5 & 7 PM.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas World Aquarium
Dallas World Aquarium
4,121 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Grapevine Mills
Grapevine Mills
683 Reviews
Grapevine, TX
Love Field
Love Field
Dallas, TX
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DAL for 11 hours

They won’t have to claim luggage since their flights are all on SWA. It will be checked through to the next flight.

Traffic heading into downtown from Grapevine Mills at rush hour is the lighter side. Also, waiting to leave until 6 PM will be past the worst of the traffic.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 07:26
Mentioned in this post
Grapevine Mills
Grapevine Mills
683 Reviews
Grapevine, TX
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DAL for 11 hours

"...since their flights are all on SWA" Do we know that? OP is from Alaska, so could also be Alaska Airlines, Delta, or some combination?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DAL for 11 hours

I wasn't aware that those airlines flew into DAL.

Mentioned in this post
Love Field
Love Field
Dallas, TX
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DAL for 11 hours

"I wasn't aware that those airlines flew into DAL." Well, that just means SWA's marketing department is doing a good job! And I doubt AA wants you to know, but you can actually fly to Europe (and beyond) from DAL using Delta via ATL. Good to know, right?

Edited: 14 June 2018, 01:31
Mentioned in this post
Love Field
Love Field
Dallas, TX
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DAL for 11 hours

I just use DFW since I live closer to it, and you can get anywhere in the world with 1-2 connecting flights from DFW!

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: DAL for 11 hours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted