We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyonlands Island in the Sky

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Canyonlands Island in the Sky

Hello

I'm a bit confused by what exactly Island in the Sky is....I think its both a "region" and a "road". I am guessing its a road through a region, but I can't seem to determine what that road is. When people say "You must see Island in the Sky". I'm sorta unclear what I'm aiming for. As a region I am sure there is LOTS to see but I need to be pointed in the right direction. Any particular points I should really make an effort to see?

Forgive my ignorance, just trying to plan a day an unsure how much time to allow.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Island in the Sky
Island in the Sky
573 Reviews
Canyonlands National Park, UT
4 replies to this topic
utah
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyonlands Island in the Sky

Canyonlands is a national park. There are two sections of Canyonlands - Island in the Sky and Needles. You can't access these from each other - the entrance to Island in the Sky is a couple hours from Needles.

For the Island in the Sky section - once you enter the park, the paved road to the end is only several miles long where it dead ends at Grand View Point - any direction you go - left, right, forward, you will get to a drop off looking down into canyons.

Along the road there are some lookouts you can drive right to and there are others that require a hike. Grand View and Buck's Canyon are the best overlooks. Mesa Arch is the must do hike (it's short and easy.) There are several other options.

Typically if you visit Island in the Sky you also visit Dead Horse Point which, basically, is just another viewpoint into the same area, but has a unique vantage point.

If you are based in Moab you need to plan a bit over an hour round trip drive to Canyonloands - Island in the Sky. Typically people spend a day at Island in the Sky, but you can do it in a 1/2 day if you are tight on time.

Most don't visit the Needles section - it's more of a long day hike area than a stop and look at viewpoints area - it's a bit more of a drive to get to as well.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 00:22
Mentioned in this post
Island in the Sky
Island in the Sky
573 Reviews
The Needles
The Needles
275 Reviews
Mesa Arch
Mesa Arch
600 Reviews
Moab
Moab
Utah
Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
955 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyonlands Island in the Sky

There are actually three areas to Canyonlands, Horseshow Canyon is the third. It's a long ride from Moab and is a hot 7 mile R/T hike.

Spend a good part of the day exploring Island in the Sky and Dead Horse S.P.

If you have time take the ride out RT 209, Potash Rd, there are Petroglyphs that are worth seeing, right along the Colorado River.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 00:37
Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Island in the Sky
Island in the Sky
573 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,825 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyonlands Island in the Sky

Canyonlands is a National Park with 3 distinct and seperate sections. Islands in the Sky is the most popular and easiest to access, to the north and west of Moab. It is adjacent to Dead Horse State Park. A normal day trip would include time at both of those parks.

Needles is the second section of Canyonlands, accessed from south of Moab. It’s a bit more remote and a visit usually requires longer hikes. The third section of Canyonlands is known as the Maze. It includes Horseshoe Canyon and many other very remote canyons. Access is extremely limited and often requires special vehicles, watercraft and extended overnight camping in back country wilderness.

Mentioned in this post
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyonlands Island in the Sky

This definitely clears things up for me and helps me with my trip planning. I very much appreciate you all being tolerate of my naivety!!:)

Reply to: Canyonlands Island in the Sky
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted