We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah in the winter

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Utah in the winter

I’m going to spend some days at Utah next year, in February. I totally forgot it’s going to be winter there and was willing to go for some hikes. Are there any good hikes to go on winter? Are snowshoes a must?

Also, I was thinking about staying at SLC, but as I read some advices, I think it’s not the best idea for my hiking plans. Would need a good public transport service, since I’m going without a car.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
2 replies to this topic
utah
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah in the winter

There are some good options for snowshoeing in nothern UT. You probably don't want to be in Salt Lake in Feb - the odds of their being an inversion, and thus, major pollution and very cold weather is high. I would suggest Park City, but it will be very expensive in the winter because it is a major skiing destination - it will also be snow.

You have very limited options for public transportation other than Park City and Salt Lake. You could possibly visit St. George and it does have some very nice hikes in the area but you would be pretty limited on reaching them without a car,

Honestly, visiting UT in the winter without a car is pretty limited unless you ski.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah in the winter

Greetings and welcome to the forum and maybe Utah.

I will say this, if you don't have a car, this trip will be very difficult. Salt Lake City will be in winter and many of the typical hiking trails will have avalanche danger or require special gear. You could likely hike up City Creek Canyon and areas in the foothills like The Living Room, but I don't think that is why you are coming all the way to Utah.

Southern Utah would have some great hiking in wintertime without crowds. But you will need your own vehicle or hire a guide. Even Zion National Park, which usually has a free shuttle, will be cars only in February.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
City Creek Canyon
City Creek Canyon
132 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Reply to: Utah in the winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;