We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Hello,

my husband and I (35-40 yrs old) are planning about 10 day trip to Utah to see Zion, Bryce, Antelope Canyon.

Is 4th of July week 6/30-7/8 too hot to visit?

We would like to visit Angel's Landing and the Narrows in Zion, Queens Garden in Bryce, possibly Delicate Arch and the Moab, Lake Powell in Monument valley (optional) and Horseshoe bend in Antelope Canyon.

We are not super experienced hikers, more beginner to moderate level.

Is there a particular order we should be doing the tour and would we have enough time to see all of the above?

Are there any other recommendations by anyone?

what about accommodations? no camping.

We live in Los Angeles. Would it be too long to drive from here or fly to Vegas and rent a car from there?

Should we include Grand Canyon as well?

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,531 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,948 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las...
122 Reviews
from US$511.00*
Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
109 Reviews
from US$598.49*
US$629.99
Arches National Park 4x4 Adventure...
163 Reviews
from US$91.89*
Free Cancellation
20 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Greetings. Welcome to the forum and to Utah.

Sounds like a fun trip. Flying could cut off some hours of drive time, but will also cost more. You would also have to rent a car, once you land. A flight from LA to Vegas, may not even net a positive time differential by the time you go through screening, etc. So I guess it all will depend on your itinerary, prices, etc. If you fly into Salt Lake City, it may be more worth your while.

With your time frame, you're definitely going to need to make some cuts to the bucket list. You simply don't have a reasonable time to squeeze all of it in. There are many ways to do this, so it really depends on what you want to visit the most.

One options is to see the Mighty Five. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlKOcyf915M

For this, fly into Salt Lake. 3-4 nights in Moab, 1-2 in Torrey, 1 in Bryce, and 2-3 in Springdale for Zion.

If you really want to see Antelope Canyon, then group that with Zion and Bryce and then throw in Grand Canyon or Monument Valley. 3 nights in Zion, 1-2 Bryce, 2 in Page, 1 in Monument Valley OR 1-2 for Grand Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Are you planning this 4th of July? some of those places, especially Zion are very busy then, lodging may very well be a problem. The order of your trip may be dictated by what and when you can get it. Depending on where you are in LA it is about a 6 hour trip to Zion I believe. Driving may take a bit longer, but will save you money and then you will have your own car which makes bringing what you need easier. By the time you get to an airport early, go through security, fly, get luggage and get a car on the other end, you may only end up saving an hour or 2.

It will be hot, you can mitigate this by doing things early and then finding ac mid day driving or going to a restaurant when you can then going out in the evening again.

If you are going this year look at lodging availability before you commit to anything.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,825 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Do a search for lodging. Where and when you visit will likely be determined by where you can book accommodations. Don’t even think of coming until you have confirmed reservations for every night of your trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Thank you all !

utah
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

To do everything you have listed you would want 12-14 days in UT.

From your initial list, flying into Salt Lake would be slightly more efficient than Vegas. If you can afford the flight I think it would make for a nicer trip because you will continue to do a lot of driving once you reach UT.

Based on the time you have and what you've expressed interest in. this could be a good route for you:

Salt Lake

Moab

Page

Zion

Bryce

Salt Lake

You may also be able to add Capitol Reef to this trip either before Moab or after Bryce.

However if you decide to drive, Moab is too far out of the way - you could do a loop from Vegas

Vegas

Grand Canyon South Rim

Page

Bryce

Zion

Vegas

These are all great areas for beginner to intermediate hikers. Just be prepared for the heat.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,539 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Thank you all for the input. I think we may end up doing the following:

30-Jun LA-Springdale 6:48 HRS 448 mi 6/30-7/2

1-Jul The Narrows hike

2-Jul Angeles landing hike in the AM and then Bryce 1:47 HRS 83.7 MI 7/2-7/3

3-Jul Hike Queen's garden and leave for Moab 4:09 HRS 244 MI 7/3-7/4

4-Jul Delicate Arch Hike and head to Page (Antelope Canyon) 4:45 HRS 281 MI 7/4-7/6

5-Jul Horseshow Bend and Antelope Tour, Lake Powell

6-Jul Page to Grand Canyon 2:34 HRS 137 MI 7/6-7/8

7-Jul Mather Point and Bright Angel Trail

8-Jul Grand Canyon to LA 7:47 HRS 512 MI

I checked and we can find availability. It will be a lot of driving but we can pack everything we need in our car.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,948 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Delicate Arch
Delicate Arch
1,556 Reviews
Arches National Park, UT
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Don’t expect your drive times to match your google estimates. As an example, we drove straight from Page to the South Rim village area last month and it took 4.5 hours. An accident or something up ahead caused all lanes to stop for over 20 minutes, twice. Also if you are behind a slow moving vehicle, passing may not be possible. We were in a line of over 10 cars following an RV, and I never could pass. Add 25-30% more to your travel times. This is a very rushed trip in my opinion. Skip Moab, and it will be better. Hope it works for you.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
utah
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

Where you are driving, I think you would have a much better trip if you reduce what you are doing. As it, you are packing a 2 week trip into a week. You are bypassing a lot of amazing stuff to drive to things further away.

Side note: My experience driving LA to Vegas is it almost always takes a couple hour longer than expected due to traffic.

Consider this plan:

1) Drive from LA to Grand Canyon South Rim (I'm reversing the order of your trip because several spots are more scenic going this route)

2) Hike Grand Canyon drive to Page

3) Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend. Drive to Bryce

4) Hike Bryce and drive scenic loop. Drive to Zion. Hike Canyon Overlook on the way into Zion

5-6) Hike Zion

7) Zion and St. George (Pioneer Park/Snow Canyon) then drive to Overton

8) Get up early and do Valley of Fire - must be early to avoid heat. (Valley Fire isn't Moab, but it has some similarities - petrified sandstone dunes and arches.) Check a couple of arches there - don't miss the White Domes Hike - check out these websites - hikespeak.com/trails/… and yourhikeguide.com/valley-fire-state-park/. Drive home to LA.

I know you really want to include Moab in this trip, but you would be much, much better of skipping it.

Then some other time do a week trip where you fly into Salt Lake to visit Moab, Capitol Reef and Park City.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:22
Mentioned in this post
Pioneer Park
Pioneer Park
415 Reviews
St. George, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,539 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

This is a crazily compressed schedule, pick one side of the state or the other and add Capitol Reef.

Is it too hot to visit over July 4th, I certainly think so but apparently lots (LOTS) of people don't.

I would drive from LA if I was doing the western side of the state (as I did many times), but fly to SLC or Grand Junction to do the eastern side.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UTAH 4th of July week 2018

I agree with Brian’s suggested itinerary. That’s the best you can do in your time frame.

GoogleMaps times are based on being able to maintain highway speeds, making no stops, no getting delayed behind slow moving vehicles and not being able to safely pass for a LONG time like the experience CDR had. Also, GoogleMaps measures distances only to the park entrance. At Zion, for example, it’s another hour or so to the visitor center IF you don’t get delayed at the tunnel or make stops along Highway 9 in the eastern part of Zion.

You will be traveling during one of the busiest time of the year for these parks. Expect crowds and delays at all of them, Zion will probably be the worse of the lot.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: UTAH 4th of July week 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted