We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from salt lake --- portland?

South Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
train from salt lake --- portland?

hey guys,

my fiancee and i eventually want to move outside or Oregon, before hand i'd like to take her there, so she can get a feel for herself before making the jump. i'm terrified of flying, she doesn't want to drive.

does anyone know if there's a train of some sort that goes from salt lake to portland? i'm not sure if it exists and i can't find any info online. if anyone has done this trip, how much did it cost / how long? thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from salt lake --- portland?

I don't know why you had trouble finding something online about this. I did a Google search "Salt Lake City to Portland train" and this website came right up. Easy, peasy. The website will answer all your questions about price, how long it takes, how frequently the train runs (apparently, it's not every day.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
South Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from salt lake --- portland?

i was thinking more along the lines of something that wouldn't require 42 hours of travel round trip. i could've clarified that better!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from salt lake --- portland?

Doubt you'll find anything that's faster. There's only so many trains and so many train tracks between Salt Lake and Portland. The drive is an easy drive and straight forward. You can do it over two days or one long haul. Our son lives in Vancouver WA, just across the river from Portland. We've made the drive a few times. If you won't fly and there isn't a train, then you will probably have to drive.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,436 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from salt lake --- portland?

The only train that goes/comes to SLC heads to San Francisco (well Oakland). The only way you can get to Portland is by taking the train to Oakland and then transferring to the train that goes north along the coast. It is a full day trip from SLC to Oakland and then another full day trip to Portland. When you consider it costs almost as much as a flight and takes that much longer, you begin to understand why people fly.

You could take Greyhound bus. That would take 17hr one way.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 14:18
Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Oakland
Oakland
California
Reply to: train from salt lake --- portland?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted