We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moki Dugway compared to Needles Highway in South Dakota

minnesota
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Moki Dugway compared to Needles Highway in South Dakota

Hello ~ I would really like to check out Moki Dugway, but kind of nervous about it. How does it compare to Needles Highway in South Dakota (other than that Needles is paved the whole way)? Not sure I can handle anything more treacherous than Needles.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Moki Dugway
Moki Dugway
270 Reviews
Utah
The Needles
The Needles
273 Reviews
Canyonlands National Park, UT
4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moki Dugway compared to Needles Highway in South Dakota

The Needles Highway was treacherous??? Hmmm. I don't remember anything about it being worrisome.

The Moki dugway is a 3 mile section of road that has been carved out of a 1500 ft high section of a barren cliff. It has steep drop-offs and hairpin turns. It is wide (thank goodness) though, so plenty of room.

http://knau.org/post/earth-notes-moki-dugway

(Click on the photo in the link for a larger and better view)

If you couldn't handle the Needles then I'm guessing you won't like the Moki Dugway. (would it help if I told you I spent the first drive down the dugway on the floor of our car with my eyes closed?) but survived to drive it myself three or four times now and several more times with other people driving....

Edited: 12 June 2018, 14:32
Mentioned in this post
Moki Dugway
Moki Dugway
270 Reviews
Utah
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moki Dugway compared to Needles Highway in South Dakota

I'm the same as Kbec on The Needles Highway, don't remember anything that looked scary about that at all. So if you had a problem there then the Moki Dugway is probably not for you. Although the terrain and scenery are entirely different.

Personally I've never had a problem with Moki Dugway but it used to be more fun when it scared my passengers. They've become more accepting over the years and never scream any more.

Mentioned in this post
Moki Dugway
Moki Dugway
270 Reviews
Utah
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,077 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moki Dugway compared to Needles Highway in South Dakota

Yah, these are both very interesting roads. I, too, wouldn't call either scary. Big difference is Moki Dugway doesn't have any trees. Road is gravel but pretty wide. While it doesn't have guard rails, I can't see any way you could drive off unless you just weren't paying attention at all. Needles Highway has lots of crossover switchbacks with bridges. Nothing like that on Moki Dugway.

If you had fun on Needles, sometime try the Rhaetian Railway from Filisur up to the Albula Pass in Switzerland. That makes Needles Highway like a shot in the desert.

Don't worry about it - will be an amazing experience.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Moki Dugway
Moki Dugway
270 Reviews
Utah
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
930 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moki Dugway compared to Needles Highway in South Dakota

+1 that the Needles Highway isn't particularly scary. Still, the switchbacks are much tighter on the Needles than on the Moki...for all that the Moki is gravel, it's really in quite good condition and the switchbacks are built out nicely. Because there are no trees and it's basically wide open you can see far ahead, so you can see oncoming traffic. Are you planning on driving up or down? If you're driving down, stop at the top and you can see most of the Dugway and then the straight road that moves away from it. It's quite awesome. I'd say, go for it!

Reply to: Moki Dugway compared to Needles Highway in South Dakota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted