We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay

Owings Mills...
4 posts
1 review
Where to Stay

Making plans for 3 middle nights of our 11 night trip from Las Vegas to SLC starting end of Aug. During this time we want to go to Bryce, Escalante and Capital Reef. We like to avoid staying only one night at each lodging. Is there a good central location where we can visit all 3 sites? Or should we break it up? Is Escalante a good center place to stay? After these 3 nights we head to Moab.

8 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Where to Stay

Because of the distance between Bryce and Torrey, there is no one place to base to see both. Escalante is an hour from Bryce, but 3 hours from Torrey. Stay 1 to 2 nights in Bryce and 1 to 2 nights in Torrey. There's no need to stay in Escalante. Get to work on making hotel reservations now. You will probably be surprised to learn that availability at Bryce is very limited. It could be a challenge in Torrey as well.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,438 posts
451 reviews
2. Re: Where to Stay

As Connie indicated, there's no place that makes as a three-day base. Do one day in Bryce, one in Escalante, one in Torrey. If you want to consolidate a bit do one night in Bryce, two in Escalante then drive on to Moab. En route to Moab, stop to visit Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse Canyon.

Have fun.

Owings Mills...
4 posts
1 review
3. Re: Where to Stay

Thank you to TumbleweedandCactus for your advice. I changed our plans to stay one night at Bryce and two nights in Escalante.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
248 reviews
4. Re: Where to Stay

what do you plan to do from Escalante? Grand Staircase is not "user friendly" unless you want to travel unmaintained roads and hike. If that is not your plan, I'd split my time between Torrey and Bryce and of course, enjoy the scenic route between.

There is Lower Calf Creek Falls not far afield from Escalante. That's an excellent hike. Maybe 6 miles or so round trip? and it's reached by paved road :) There's some great stuff down Hole in the Rock Rd but it is not maintained and we ended up broken down 21 miles in. NOT in a rental, by the way. AAA would not come out and tow alone was $500.

So- just some thoughts on Escalante.

Edited: 15 August 2018, 01:04
Owings Mills...
4 posts
1 review
5. Re: Where to Stay

wings 1980: Interesting that you just sent me this! My husband and I just decided to stay one night at Bryce and 2 nights in Torrey (Capitol Reef Resort). I am looking at the "Easy" hikes. I appreciate that you took the time to send me your thoughts.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
248 reviews
6. Re: Where to Stay

I love Capital Reef. The hike to Hickman Bridge is pretty easy imo and really cool. Also enjoy the very level "hike" out to the pioneer register.

Millbury...
Level Contributor
83 posts
7. Re: Where to Stay

We just returned from a trip to this area. We began in Las Vegas and spent a night at Vdara which was very nice. We then drove to Zion and stayed 2 nights at the Desert Pearl in Springdale and used the shuttle to access the park. This was very easy. We then drove to Bryce and stayed inside the park at the Lodge for 3 nights. This made it easy to be at sunrise point for the sunrise,hike among the hoodoos, walk along the rim,and drive and hike along the scenic road that runs through the park.There are ranger programs that take place at times during the day and in the Lodge in the evening. Try to book a room at the Lodge. After Bryce we drove to Torrey via route 12. I suggest you try to fit this route into your plans. It is a beautiful drive and took most of the day with stops for sights, deer and cattle in the road, and a late lunch stop at Burr Trail. Check out route 12 on the forum.. In Torrey we stayed 2 nights at Capitol Reef Resort which was quite nice and located near the entrance to Capitol Reef Park. We very much enjoyed Capitol Reef Park. The landscape along with the orchards in the valley was beautiful.. The homemade pies were great too! This park was a lot less crowded than Zion so hiking was quite fun. After Torrey we headed back to Vegas for 2 nights at Vdara with an overnight in St George to lessen the drive. Judging distance and time is difficult due to slow speeds in mountainous areas, construction, stopping for sights, and rain downpours. The route 12 drive is a great experience between Bryce and Torrey. I suggest you try to allow time for this.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,720 posts
250 reviews
8. Re: Where to Stay

Stay in Bryce and Torrey. Split it 1/2 or 2/1. An extra night at Bryce allows you to focus more on UT12 in a Escalante. 2 nights at Torrey would give you extra time for Capitol Reef.

There’s no wrong choice. Too bad you don’t have more time.

Reply to: Where to Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted