We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feedback needed for this early October trip

11 posts
feedback needed for this early October trip

Hi All,

This is an initial plan

day.1 (LA to LV - 350 miles)

Ride to Vegas thru Joshua Tree & Mojave Preserve

day.2 (LV to Tropic - 270 miles)

Ride to Tropic thru Valley of Fire. Stop in Zion and in Bryce for sunset

day.3 (Tropic to Moab - 260 miles)

Ride from Tropic to Moab thru route 12. Stop in Capitol Reef

day.4 (Moab to Kayenta - 170 miles)

Ride to explore Arches & Canyonlands. Sunset in Monument Valley.

day.5 (Kayenta to Page - 100 miles)

Short ride to Page. Explore Antelope Canyon & Horseshoe Bend.

day.6 (Page to Sedona - 160 miles)

Ride to Sedona and explore area around

day.7 (Sedona to Kingman - 175 miles)

Continue exploring Sedona and ride to Kingman thru route 66

day.8 (Kingman to LA - 340 miles)

Ride to LA thru route 66

- It will be a motorcycle trip

- we are not into hiking. just would enjoy the scenic roads and have a feel of the national parks and take few photos.

- I still can add another night or 2

- I would like to add Grand Canyon North Rim as i've already seen the south rim

- I dont mind reversing the circle

Appreciate every one feedback on this

21 replies to this topic
11 posts
1. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

UPDATE

just considering to end the ride in Day.2 in Kanab so AM in Day.3 can be to GC North Rim and then head to Bryce for the sunset before ending the day in Tropic. Day.4 (Day.3 in original post) shall resume the above plan

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,656 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

I'll let the experts chime in on the rest of your plan but you can't "explore Antelope Canyon" without a tour and to see anything at Horseshoe Bend, you need to hike up the hill.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,137 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

Before I comment on your itinerary, I have a few questions.

Are you riding your own bike from LA or renting one? If you are renting, you may want to seriously consider flying in to Las Vegas and renting from there. Doing that will eliminate about 9 hours of riding, most of which would be in the very hot desert. It would also give you the ability to slow the pace a bit thru the Utah parks.

Have you done long distance rides by motorcycle? If not, this trip may be a bit aggressive. My husband and I do long trips on our BMW R1200 RT. We have found that by building in a rest day every 2 or 3 days makes the trip more enjoyable.

What will you be riding? If it's a Harley, then don't discount what the noise and hard ride will do to your ability to ride day after day after day. And then there's the heat. October is our favorite month to ride in Utah. The air temp is just about perfect. But there are also days when it's unbearable; particularly around Moab, Monument Valley, Page and Sedona. The heat will be exhausting.

About your itinerary.

I'm sure you understand that when traveling by motorcycle, the joy is in the journey and maybe not so much the destinations. With this in mind, I suggest some radical changes to your plan. The changes I suggest are to give you the opportunity to ride some great roads. I know. I've been on all of them.

Day 1: See my comment about starting your trip in Las Vegas. The drive between LA and Las Vegas will be awful by motorcycle - mostly freeway with lots of big trucks, etc. Just getting out of LA won't be a lot of fun. It will be very hot coming across the desert.

Day 2: The Valley of Fire will be very hot. You may want to skip it. I suggest that on this day you ride to the North Rim Grand Canyon. That is a stellar ride with twisties and great scenery. One caveat, the North Rim closes on October 15. Your trip would need to be prior to that date. Overnight at the North Rim or at Jacob's Lake.

Day 3: Ride from the North Rim to Monument Valley. Overnight.

Day 4: Ride to Torrey, Utah/Capitol Reef NP via Scenic Byway Highway 95. This is another great ride by motorcycle. Overnight Torrey.

Day 5: Ride to Bryce Canyon via Scenic Byway Highway 12. This is one of the premier scenic drives in Utah. . When you get to Boulder Utah, detour to the Burr Trail and ride that to the cattle guard (about 17 miles) This ride starts out kind of "Meh", but the further you get in to it the better is gets. Overnight in Bryce.

Day 6: Ride from Bryce to Zion. This will be another stunning drive as you go down the switchbacks in to Zion. Overnight in Springdale, Utah

Day 7: Take shuttle in to Zion NP in the AM. Ride to Las Vegas in the late afternoon. Overnight

Day 8: Ride back to LA.

You want to plan this trip so that you aren't leaving LA on a Friday, staying in Las Vegas on a weekend and riding back to LA on a Sunday. Traffic will be awful from and to LA on those dates. Room rates in Las Vegas are jacked up on a weekend.

The trip you have planned is a lot of time in the saddle. I can't even imagine it would be enjoyable. Your route misses some great riding roads (see my additions). It's very ambitious by car and even more ambitious by motorcycle. I don't know what your style of riding is. But on the days we ride, we have to take at least one good rest break where we are off the bike. Those breaks are often lying on the grass in a city park. You also need to take in to account the time needed to refueling, bathroom and food breaks.

That's my feedback. Keep the rubber side down.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 22:38
utah
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

I don't know that Valley of Fire, Zion and Bryce is feasible in a day even just driving through. I guess if you skip the shuttle in Zion you could do it. I think Valley of Fire in the morning in October will be comfortable.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,622 posts
249 reviews
5. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

I think you’re being overly aggressive. Assuming that you’re experienced in long distance rides. If not, cut this itinerary in half or double the amount of time.

11 posts
6. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

Updated plan considering comments above:

day.1 (LA to LV)

Ride to Vegas thru Joshua Tree & Mojave Preserve

day.2 (LV to Kanab)

Ride to Kanab thru Valley of Fire. Stop in Zion.

day.3 (Kanab to Tropic)

Ride to GC north rim then back north to Tropic. Stop in Bryce for sunset.

day.4 (Tropic to Moab)

Ride from Tropic to Moab thru route 12. Stop in Capitol Reef

Day.5

Moab

day.6 (Moab to Kayenta)

Ride to Kayenta thru route 95. Stop in Monument Valley.

day.7 (Kayenta to Page)

Short ride to Page. Tour to Antelope Canyon & hike to Horseshoe Bend.

day.8 (Page to Sedona)

Ride to Sedona and explore area around

day.9 (Sedona to Kingman)

Continue exploring Sedona and ride to Kingman thru route 66

day.10 (Kingman to LA)

Ride to LA thru route 66

utah
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

Instead of doing the North Rim of the Grand Canyon do the South Rim. Day 3 of North Rim and Bryce won't work otherwise. Also the South Rim will only add an hour or two to your total drive where North Rim is several hours.

Your schedule is very aggressive - I think if you drop North Rim of Grand Canyon, sub in Grand Canyon South Rim, and drop Sedona it's doable as long as a quick drive through is what you want.

11 posts
8. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

Brian thnx for the input

ive already been to GC south rim so i wanted to see the north rim .. not really the park it self but the route thru kaibab NF.

Yes im already started to question whether Sedona is worth it or not ? any advise ?

its kinda aggressive but we are from overseas and try to see as much as possible as there might be no second visit to this region in future.

utah
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

Frankly the challenge here is by trying to see more you will actually see less. For example, you could easily spend 3-4 nights in Sprindale and only get the highlights of Zion. You won't have time to hike the Narrows or Angel's Landing or Observation Point. You won't even have time to ride the shuttle and walk Riverside Walk or hike Canyon Overlook. Instead you are spending the majority of your time driving and moving from location to location.

It's fine to chose a broad stroke, but I just wanted to make the point that IMO you are seeing less not more by approaching it that way. Also, if what you really want to do is see roads and enjoy the scenery as your drive, what you have works well.

Where you have seen the Grand Canyon before, I think you would be much better off allocating that time to something more on your natural path towards Moab instead of driving a few hours out of the way for the North Rim. Also now I know that you have seen the Grand Canyon you could go a different route that looks something like this: Vegas -> Bryce -> Torrey/Escalante -> Moab -> Monument Valley -> Page -> Kanab -> Springdale/Zion -> Vegas. That would cut a significant amount of drive time. Also if you really want to do the North Rim it would fit better going Page -> Kanab than Zion -> Bryce. This would cost you Sedona and Kingman but would greatly increase the amount of time you could spend actually seeing things in the parks.

Edited: 18 August 2018, 01:32
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,137 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: feedback needed for this early October trip

What my fellow TA members are missing is that you are doing this trip by motorcycle. I don’t think any who have responded have travelled long distances by motorcycle. I have and I know that it’s a totally different experience than by a car.

Your new plan is ambitious by car. On a motorcycle, it is overly ambitious. Some days are not realistic. Have you considered any of the comments I made in my first post about riding this itinerary? Unless you have a steel butt and resistant to heat, the sun pounding down on you, impervious to the sound of the Harley, which I assume you are renting, you are going to be exhausted and road weary after the third day. And I agree tha t by trying to cram in as much as possible, you will actually see and experience less.

Before I comment further, can you tell us what your travel style is by motorcycle and if you actually have experience riding long distances, in the heat and sun, for days in a row? By long distances, I mean up to 5 to 6 hours max on the motorcycle.

Reply to: feedback needed for this early October trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted