We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Hello, everyone! Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. My family of five--three children from 6-13--are planning a trip to Vermont with some friends over the winter break in December. I know that's a busy time of year, but it's the only time we can take off of work, so that's the week we have to go. With the exception of my husband, we are all novice skiers, who have only skied maybe five times on small mountains.

Friends have recommended the Hearthstone Lodge in Stratton or Jackson Gore in Okemo for our trip, so between the two, which would you recommend for lodging and the best private ski lessons and activities for the children? Also, if you have stayed at Jackson Gore in Okemo, which of the condos do you prefer--the ones at the inn or the Brixby house? I will have to work some of the time for maybe two days in the room, so the room itself is important to me since I'll be holed up in there while the family is outside!

Thank you again for any recommendations! I appreciate the help!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Jackson Gore Inn
Jackson Gore Inn
306 Reviews
Ludlow, VT
Twin Farms
Twin Farms
#1 of 1 hotels in Barnard
Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester
Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester
#1 of 17 hotels in Manchester
Sleep Woodstock Motel
Sleep Woodstock Motel
#1 of 6 hotels in Woodstock
12 replies to this topic
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Can't comment on your lodging options...but as far as the ski mountains themselves are concerned you really can't go wrong with either one. Both are great mountains for beginners and intermediates and have good ski schools. I would pick whichever lodging you think will be a better fit vs. which mountain.

Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Thank you! That's very helpful. We are coming from New Jersey and Stratton is a little closer, so we may go with Stratton. The lodging is virtually the same in Okemo and Stratton (at least based on the website), but we are trying to figure out which might be less busy (I know it's going to be busy over the holiday anywhere, but even a touch less busy is appealing) and has more for children to do. They both seem to have a nice town to visit, which will be nice! I'm excited. I've only been to Vermont once and not to ski! Thank you, again, for your help.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Vermont
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Okemo has more of a 'Vermont' feel with about 55% beginner/intermediate terrain. The town of Ludlow is darling featuring authentic Vermont establishments. I highly recommend The Downtown Grocery for dinner if you can sneak away from your children.

Stratton has most everything you need right at the base. There is little 'Vermont town' feel to the place. However, there are about 70% beginner/intermediate trails. A fun spot to dine with your family is Mulligans.

A bonus of Stratton is easy access to Bromley - a great place to learn to ski. Fewer crowds and award-winning instructors. And, 'Very Vermont'!

Mentioned in this post
Ludlow
Ludlow
Vermont
Vermont
Vermont
United States
The Downtown Grocery
The Downtown Grocery
292 Reviews
Ludlow, VT
NJ
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

0kemo

port republic
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Both are fine, both will make as much snow as they can to get ready for the holiday week. Okemo is bigger. Ludlow is a real town whereas Stratton has a base "village", Manchester is the nearest big town.

Mentioned in this post
Ludlow
Ludlow
Vermont
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Thank you all for your help and time! I really appreciate it.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 04:16
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

I would go with Okemo.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Another spot you might consider is Smuggler's Notch, which is known for its kids programs. Some of the answers to your questions depend on where you are coming from/how you are traveling. . .Stratton is nearer to NY/South but is crowded at peak season. Okemo is a great cruiser mountain and has some more challenging vertical. Smuggler's is a bit more remote (though closer to Burlington if you are flying and make that your entry point).

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

Thank you for your reply. I should have noted in my original post that we are coming from New Jersey. I appreciate the help! I'll look into Smugglers Notch, too. We have friends who go there every year, but I was under the impression think that my children are too new to skiing to be able to ski that area just yet. But I'll explore that option!

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Furlong PA
Level Contributor
681 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stratton or Okemo for novice skiers

There's a good, fairly objective look at ski areas at http://www.skibum.net/

From the banner at the top, click northeast -> vermont