We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

Virginia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

Sorry for the vague subject line and even more vague questions...

Our kids will be in sleep-away camp in CT for a week, and my wife and I looking for a destination for a few days to get-away. In past years we've done NYC and Boston, but are thinking of something lower key this time - day hikes, exploring, relaxing, good restaurants, etc.. We debated going up to Acadia, but the crowds and long drive are less than appealing. So we're thinking about maybe finding a place in VT. Any thoughts on what would be a good base camp area?

Have had recommendations of Stowe or Middlebury. Also about going over to Lake George area.

Any insights would be MOST appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
8 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

Burlington, VT is a great spot if you want restaurants, bars, shopping, there is a great bike path that runs along the lake. You can even bike across the lake and take the bike ferry over to the islands and come back the same way. Its easy to get to Stowe, etc.. for hiking or nature.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
984 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

You really can't go wrong anywhere in Vermont - 90% of it is rural and scenic. Southern Vt towns like Chester, Ludlow and Grafton are very nice. No big hotels, just inns and b&b's. The busy little city of Brattleboro has lots of fun places to eat and shop and some chain hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Chester
Chester
Vermont
Ludlow
Ludlow
Vermont
Grafton Inn
Grafton Inn
367 Reviews
Grafton, VT
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

I'd go for Stowe, Burlington, or Middlebury over Lake George. Those VT towns all have their own unique atmosphere, whereas LG has always impressed me as a touristy cotton-candy type town. It's great if you like outlet stores, the Great Escape... or camping on the many picturesque islands in the lake.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 10:46
Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Vermont
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

* MANCHESTER VERMONT *

To Do:

Hildene Home = Tour of Lincoln’s son’s home or hike the trails there - amazing gardens in season

http://www.hildene.org/about.html

Equinox Hotel has three restaurants - Marsh Tavern liveliest w best atmosphere - plus there is a spa

Equinox also features a great front porch w rocking chairs for watching the world go by

Taconic Hotel newer, so nicer - but less historic charm - fine restaurant

There is also a new Hampton Inn near the center of town - walking distance to everything

Recommended Lunch = Ponce, Little Rooster, Al Ducci’s Italian Market

Northshire Bookstore a Must Visit . . . also drinks/food place - this bookstore is an Amazing Feat of Independent Booksellers

Orvis & American Museum of Flyfishing is in Town - feed the HUGE trout or take a Fly Fishing Lesson

Battenkill River is great for fishing and tubing

Plus, Southern Vermont Art Center is gorgeous + food . . . w views and trails

Plenty of Shopping!!!

Plenty of Hiking . . . hop on the Long Trail or tour Equinox Mntn Preserve

Bromley Mntn is very close and filled w fun!

Easy Drive to Weston for the Vermont Country Store

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
The Equinox Golf Resort...
1,462 Reviews
Manchester, VT
Northshire Bookstore
Northshire Bookstore
256 Reviews
Manchester, VT
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Weston
Weston
Vermont
Vermont Country Store
Vermont Country Store
683 Reviews
Weston, VT
Virginia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. So we're I'm thinking maybe to do a few nights in North Conway in the Whites, then drive over to Burlington for a few nights. A good mix of venues and let's us explore a bit more and see some different scenery. Quite a bit of driving, but no kids in the car!

Any suggestions on lodging in North Conway (or nearby) and Burlington? Open to inns and B&Bs as well as larger properties. A place with a spa would be likely be appreciated by my wife...

Mentioned in this post
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
The Inns at Equinox
The Inns at Equinox
220 Reviews
Manchester, VT
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

For Burlington...if you want to be downtown I can recommend Hotel Vermont and the Courtyard Marriott Burlington Harbor. I have been to/stayed at both...they are located right next to eachother downtown, are newer properties, and are really nice. Walking distance to waterfront, Church Street, etc. If you end up at the Marriott book a lake view room!

If you want a spa and don't mind staying outside of Burlington, the Inn at Essex would be my pick. There is a spa onsite. I can also recommend staying in Stowe over Burlington and day trip to Burlington if a spa is a huge requirement. Topnotch is fantastic.

North Conway...I've stayed at both the Golden Gables and Hampton Inn...both are fine..no spa at either.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
813 Reviews
Burlington, VT
The Inn at Manchester
The Inn at Manchester
651 Reviews
Manchester, VT
Essex
Essex
Vermont
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
The Gables Inn
The Gables Inn
198 Reviews
Stowe, VT
Virginia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

Thanks.

Also, having some done some more research am thinking maybe Jackson over North Conway for the NH time.

Was debating Stowe, but thought there might be ‘more stuff to do’ in Burlington, being a college town. Will need to look into that as well.

Mentioned in this post
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?

The Willard Street Inn in Burlington is beautiful.

https://www.willardstreetinn.com/

Be sure to take a scenic cruise on the Spirit of Ethan Allen. I've enjoyed all the different types but the sunset dinner cruise is especially nice.

https://soea.com/

Stowe is not far from Burlington, and several of its hotels advertise spas (although I haven't been to any of them so can't recommend one, they look nice online!).

Mentioned in this post
Spirit of Ethan Allen
Spirit of Ethan Allen
550 Reviews
Burlington, VT
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Reply to: Suggestions for a few days in Vermont - late June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted