We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Vermont...A few questions

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Vermont...A few questions

Hi all, really excited to be coming to VT as part of our US trip this year! First I will let you know the itenary:

Arrive at Burlington Airport early evening on Monday 3rd September

Fly out of Burlington Airport at 1.30pm on Saturday 8th September

I am thinking we will stay over in Burlington on 3rd and 4th, Stowe on 5th and 6th and then a night in Burlington on the 7th ready for the airport the next day.

I do have a few questions...

What is the best way to get from the airport in Burlington to downtown for our hotel? We are thinking we will be staying at the Hilton but also considering Lang House BnB if anyone can shed any light on which would be best?

We of course need to get from Burlington to Stowe. Any ideas? We could rent-a-car for a couple of days but if we wouldnt need it whilst we are in Stowe it seems a waste of money. Is there public transport linking the two places?

Where to stay in Stowe? If the suggestion is that we don't need a car to get here then something in a good location would be good. On the Go Stowe website there are so many inns and BnBs and we would like to stay somewhere like that. Green Mountain Inn sounds good?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
595 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Vermont...A few questions

I have always rented a car at BTV airport because I travel around Vermont. However last year I was bumped from a flight after returning my rental car, and was able to use Uber (four times) easily, quickly, and inexpensively (since Burlington isn't very big).

Some Burlington hotels have free shuttles to and from the airport, so you can ask about that when making reservations.

I've always had a rental car when going to Stowe, so other can better advise you about getting around there.

Not sure if you would need to Uber back to the airport to pick up a rental car, or if there is somewhere downtown to get one -- but the airport isn't very far.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Vermont...A few questions

Easiest way from the airport to downtown Burlington will be a taxi. There will be a few at the curb ready to go whenever there are flights arriving.

The Hilton vs. Lang House - both are good locations, although Hilton is a bit better located for exploring Burlington if you'll be on foot. The Lang House is a few blocks up the hill from downtown, and even further from the waterfront. Paying a bit extra for a lake view room at the Hilton, and requesting a high floor, is worth it if it's within your budget. Whatever you do, it's not too early to be making reservations for September. Hotels in Burlington do sell out for much of the summer and through the fall.

You really do need a car for Stowe. You may be able to piece together buses and taxis but it will be a big pain and not a good use of your time.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Vermont...A few questions

I think renting a car for a few days seems a good option. Enterprise in Burlington quote $200 for 3 days. Should give us a bit more freedom whilst in Stowe too incase we fancy a day trip somewhere. Also means we can probably stay our final night in Stowe rather than going back to Burlington.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
595 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Vermont...A few questions

Driving from Stowe to BTV is easy and the rental car return is in the airport parking garage -- no need to go off-site or take a shuttle, it's a small airport -- so that should work out well.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Vermont...A few questions

A rental car is definitely the easiest (and perhaps cheapest) transport between BTV & Stowe. If memory serves, an Uber is around $50 each way. And having a car is very handy in/around Stowe anyway.Agree w/ Adm's suggestion of a lake-view room at the Hilton. Easy walk to downtown BTV & adjacent to the waterfront park & rec path. Great option if that' ok for your budget.

Reply to: 5 nights in Vermont...A few questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted