We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Idea of how crowded it will be

denver, co
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
An Idea of how crowded it will be

Myself, husband and 14yr old daughter will be coming to DC from March 26 - Mar 31. Flying into DCA and tentatively staying at Embassy Suites Crystal City.

We are so far planning on going to Museum of Nature & Science, American History, Arlington Cemetary, Ford's Theater, Capital and Whitehouse tours and of course the monuments.

I know this is peak spring break time and was just wanting to get an idea on what kind of crowds to expect. Is it going to be elbow to elbow at the Smithsonian? I'm just getting nervous about going during what I fear is going to be an uncomfortably crowded time.

Thanks so much for all the great posts on this forum. I have spent many hours reading them doing my hotel and attraction planning.

Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
700 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Idea of how crowded it will be

Washington DC has tourists the year round. Outside of Cherry Blossom Festival, the Spring is not too crowded - at least not uncomfortaby so. Some venues like the Monument, Holocaust Museum and Fords Theater offer time specific tickets during this period. The Smithsonian Museum will most likely be busy during the weekends - many locals visit as well.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Idea of how crowded it will be

If you are not claustrophobic, you won't feel uncomfortably crowded. There is always a line at the hope diamond and other attractions of that caliber. There may be a line to walk thru the shuttle at the air and space. The Capitol will be crowded but you get moved thru pretty well. Think Vail after Christmas, you know lines to get on the lifts but the runs are pretty clear.

BTW, you do have white house tour tickets in advance, right?

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An Idea of how crowded it will be

I've never thought of DC as crowded during Spring Break or the Cherry Blossom festival - unless you're trying to get to the Tidal Basin, of course. I've found the museums pretty empty in March/April, compared to the peak summertime crowds.

denver, co
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Idea of how crowded it will be

Thank you so much for your answers. I guess I just assumed DC would be super crowded during spring break since it is a popular family travel time, but I am so glad that things should be good. I almost changed to early summer, but now I am glad we are going when we are. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the Cherry Blossoms.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,178 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An Idea of how crowded it will be

Do not get too excited about seeing the cherry blossoms. They keep their own schedule and a windy storm can knock them down before you can say "Hello". But your odds are still pretty good coming when you are.

Delaware
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An Idea of how crowded it will be

I actually think you are likely to run into a lot of people at all the typical tourist attractions during the period you mention because it is spring break for many schools around the country, and families like to come to DC during spring break. I don't think you will get "claustrophobia" from the crowds but you should be prepared for lines and lots of people at the main tourist draws. The cherry blossoms really are beautiful, so hopefully you will get lucky while you are here. A less crowded alternative for seeing them than the tidal basin is to get on the metro, take it out to Bethesda (unless you are already staying in Bethesda), walk a few blocks to the bike bath across the street from the Barnes and Noble, and walk to the neighborhood of Kenwood. Although you will do quite a bit of walking with this plan (it takes around 20 minutes to walk from the metro to Kenwood), you will be rewarded with fewer crowds, the sight of upscale beautiful and interesting homes surrounded by cherry blossoms, and the many fine restaurants and shops which are in downtown Bethesda.

7. Re: An Idea of how crowded it will be

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 12:17