We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

Pfafftown, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

We (myself, DH, and DS11) are travelling to DC for Spring Break March 27-April4. (I just realized it is also Cherry Blossom time, but oh well, we will deal with the crowds) We are staying appox. 4 nights, as of yet to be determined. We are trying to keep the hotel around $200 a night. Our plans are to take the train in from NC so we will not have a car. My son has never been to DC so we will be doing the different museums of the Smithsonian, the White House, the Capitol, the Bureau of Engraving, etc. I am looking for a hotel that is located on the Metro but does not have to be in the district. My SIL suggested staying in Alexandria but she couldn't remember what hotels were on the metro. I don't mind other areas. Just need some ideas. TIA :)

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Hotel Hive
Hotel Hive
#2 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
#5 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
The Avery Georgetown
The Avery Georgetown
#6 of 142 hotels in Washington DC
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

There are lots of decent hotels that are near Metro stations---not only in DC but in Arlington and Alexandria. Take a look at www.quikbook.com Enter your dates and the number of people and see what comes up. Also, check sites like Expedia, Hotwire, Kayak, Orbitz. When you've found some hotels that meet your criteria, post back here and you will get feedback regarding the location. Also, when you find hotels that interest you, check the reviews posted here under "Washington DC Hotels" for DC hotels. Or if you are interested in any in Arlington or Alexandria, check those, too. It will help you come to an informed decision.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,031 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

This forum is filled with topics about choosing hotels. And that includes the Alexandria and Crystal City hotels. Read as much as you can.

There is an Amtrak station right next to the King Street Metro stop in Alexandria. And since you are coming from NC, I suspect your train will stop there. There is a nice Embassy Suites just across the street. There is a Marriott Courtyard not far away. And several other hotels within a few blocks, including a Hilton and a Hampton Inn. Use the "search nearby" feature of Google Maps to get a list. http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=king+street+metro+stop+alexandria&fb=1&gl=us&hq=king+street+metro+stop&hnear=alexandria&hl=en&view=map&cid=12785104954358718238&iwloc=A&ved=0CB0QpQY&sa=X&ei=JE1JS_-xFImIzgSJq8GMBQ

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

Looks like you have lots of options (depending on which particular 4 nights you choose), from a quick check of hotels.com. A few that should serve your needs (some in D.C., some in VA), all within a 5 to 10 minute walk of a Metro Station close to downtown (station name in parens):

Westin Washington D.C. (McPherson Square)

Hampton Inn Convention Center (Convention Center)

Omni Shoreham Hotel (Woodley Park)

Hilton Washington (DuPont Circle)

Courtyard by Marriott Navy Yard (Navy Yard)

Hyatt Arlington (Crystal City)

There are also lots of hotels in the Maryland suburbs, but I'm not familiar with those so someone else will need to chime in. Of the ones listed above, the Omni Shoreham (a few blocks from the Woodley Park metro on the Red Line) seems to be a good value that week.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Omni Shoreham Hotel
Omni Shoreham Hotel
7,665 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Woodley Park Guest House
Woodley Park Guest House
584 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
330 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,031 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

The Courtyard near the Navy Yard Metro is not advised unless you are only going to a baseball game or doing business at a nearby office. There is nothing in the area for a tourist except that hotel and a CVS.

Pfafftown, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

Thank you all for so much great information, I'll get busy researching and once I've narrowed down to a few hotels I'll ask again. You guys are great, trip advisor comes through every time!

Pfafftown, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

Thanks, I didn't realize google had a "search nearby" feature! Like that a lot!

Pfafftown, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

I've done some research and I've narrowed down to 2 hotels. They both get very good reviews. The Omni Shoreham at Woodley Park is only $198 and the other I chose was the Hawthorne Suites in Alexandria $149 if I book through quikbook.com. The Omni seems much more upscale (looks fantastic btw) and the Hawthorne seems like there is more room because it is a suite (2 dbl beds plus pull out sofa). Given that we will be doing a lot of sight seeing and we will have no car, so dining will be by metro or foot, which would be a better choice. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Omni Shoreham Hotel
Omni Shoreham Hotel
7,665 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Woodley Park Guest House
Woodley Park Guest House
584 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,031 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

That isn't even a contest. The Hawthore Suites is a very long way from the sights of DC and not near a Metro stop. Near a very busy highway with some of the most awful traffic in the whole USA. Without a car it would be next to impossible for a tourist to DC.

This forum is filled with info about the Shoreham, which most people seem to love. An excellent location and a quick Metro ride away from most of the usual tourist sights.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
4,446 Reviews
New York City, NY
United States
United States
North America
Pfafftown, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

I really like the Omni and it would be a nice treat to stay there. We hadn't planned a trip to the zoo, but given the close proximity we may just go ahead, hey, it's free (well, I guess we get to see tax dollars at work LOL )

Any restaurant suggestions or should I just look at yelp?

I will book the Omni as soon as I find out what date my White House and Capital tour will be. I didn't realize that had to be reserved until yesterday and I quickly emailed my Rep. and hopefully will hear early this week and hopefully I'm not too late.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
7,007 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would like to stay at a hotel on the Metro

Yes, I agree, the Omni is the better of the two. AAA gives it 4-diamonds.

As for restaurants---are you only asking about restaurants near the Omni or are you willing to go elsewhere for meals? What kind of food do you like? What is your price range? If you post back with this info, you will get some good suggestions.