We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas/Advice 5nights

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
97 posts
46 reviews
Ideas/Advice 5nights

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide my holiday for this year and due to various obstructions in my schedule I've got a maximum of 5 nights available to spend in DC which could either be mid-April, end of June or possible (if boss will let me) beginning of September.

Does anyone have any advice on when is best to visit for it not being overly crowded and not too hot?

Also looking at staying at The Fairmont, it seems in a pretty good location and has decent reviews any opinions?

Can you absorb DC in 5 nights, is a 5 night trip worth it? Should I really be looking at delaying Washington until I can afford and allocate the time for a longer trip?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,258 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

I think you can do a lot and not be too hurried with a 5 night visit to DC. For weather, the mid-April dates would be best. Likely to be cool and pleasant, but maybe some rain. End of June will be hot and humid, most likely. Early September it will still be pretty hot, but not like July and August.

The Fairmont is in a nice place not far from the edge of Georgetown in an area called the West End. The downside is that none of the usual tourist sights are close, within easy walking distance. It is about 4-5 blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. And close to a Circulator bus route, so it isn't difficult to get around.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
97 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

Thanks for your reply, looks like April is now out of the question unfortunately!

So if we stayed at The Fairmont we'd need to travel by metro to visit the sites? Do you know of any good hotels nearer the sites? (The Mall area I presume?)

Not having been before I'm not entirely sure where we should be headed?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

Since the usual tourist sites aren't all clumpted together, you'll end up using the Metro system/DC Circulator over the course of 5+ days no matter which hotel you stay in. From my perspective, walking 4-5 blocks to a Metro station is no biggie. Staying by the Mall (and there aren't all that many hotels in the immediate vicinity) means you're staying in an area dominated by office buildings with virtually no shops, few restaurants open in the evening, and little "street life" after dark; that's more of a drawback imo.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,258 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

"Staying by the Mall (and there aren't all that many hotels in the immediate vicinity) means you're staying in an area dominated by office buildings with virtually no shops, few restaurants open in the evening, and little "street life" after dark; that's more of a drawback imo."

I have to disagree with that. The Hotel Monaco, the Courtyard Convention Center, JW Marriott, The Willard and The W Hotel are all near The Mall. The first two are in one of the liveliest parts of DC, full of restaurants and other things. But they all tend to be expensive. The cheaper places in SW are the ones with nothing going on after the offices close.

The Harrington Hotel is also in an excellent location, but it is quite old and often filled with school groups. And is probably overpriced for what you end up with, other than the wonderful location.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

I guess I should have more precisely delineated what I meant. I'd consider less than one-half mile to be within immediate vicinity. All those hotels are half-a-mile and more from the heart of the Mall. Perfectly walkable imo but not "by the Mall", in its "Immediate vicinity", the words I used.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,378 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

I am guessing you have been to London. If so, you know there are hotels all over the place and not all are in the middle of the touristy areas but all are frequented by tourists without any problems between bus, tube, etc.

Wash, DC is similar. You can stay in a number of areas and still be very close to everything. So Georgetown is perfectly fine area to stay in. You have to figure the Fairmont is building hotels in areas where no one wants to be.

Nor the Ritz.

Level Contributor
39,483 posts
1,021 reviews
7. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

We loved our stay at the Sofitel, we could walk to the White House and the Washington Monument and Smithsonian museums from this property. The Fairmont looks like a lovely place, also, we had a very nice meal at the Blue Duck Tavern @ the Hyatt across the street from the Fairmont, you may want to consider it for one of your meals during your stay.

Have a great trip! :)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
97 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

Thanks everyone!

Yes I have been to London numerous times and was hopeful DC would be similar in the sense that I usually stay in West London (Putney area) but have no trouble getting around on the tube wherever I want to go. So having a short walk to a metro station to get around is no biggie to me really.

I am continuing my search so will hopefully get something organised soon!

Any other advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

D.C. area
Level Contributor
282 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

5 days is fine for DC. I hope you like it here!

10. Re: Ideas/Advice 5nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 12:20