We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visit This Weekend. Advice Needed.

Ocean Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
56 reviews
First Time Visit This Weekend. Advice Needed.

My family and I will be headed to the area this weekend to visit the memorial of one of my husband's fallen comrades, and would like some advice. The memorial is in Maryland, very near D.C. and we would like to visit a few of the monuments and maybe a museum or two while in the area. Neither my husband or I have ever been to the area, and we will be traveling with our two year old. We are a bit nervous, not knowing much about the area and having never taken buses or metros to get from place to place with our daughter. We will arrive on Saturday and plan to stay until Monday morning (May 29-31). Will it be difficult navigating the city since it is Memorial Day weekend? Would anyone advise against visiting during this time period? We would like to stay outside of the city to hopefully reduce lodging costs, and would prefer not to take the metro or buses. Is there any place to park near the monuments where we can just walk the area we would like to see? We primarily want to see Lincoln's statue, the National Law Enforcement Memorial, the White House, Washington's Memorial, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Vietnam Wall, and maybe the Smithsonian. If we do not get to see all of these it is no big deal, we are just hoping to at least see two or three of them. Can anyone advise on an area outside of D.C. (yet close enough to drive in) to stay that is relaxed and good for a family? I know very little about the area and this is a last minute trip decision. Please, any and all help will be appreciated.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
146 reviews
11. Re: First Time Visit This Weekend. Advice Needed.

I'm glad to hear you'll have some extra time to plan the trip. I was leery of the metro also, but after the first time, it's a cinch. We felt like ground hogs, popping up and down all over tow. Hey Bobby, we were there two years ago also, maybe we saw each other! (I couldn't resist).

I caught your comment about the Law Enforcement Memorial. We saw names of several of my husband's friends there. It's quite moving and few people know about it. It's located a bit out of the way, not too near the monuments so get familiar with the area. But one big bonus is that the National Building Museum is located near by and it's an overlooked marvel. You may want to visit it. Inaugural Balls and Christmas concerts are held there and they've got a fascinating display about the city's history.

It's also not that well visited, but really neat.

12. Re: First Time Visit This Weekend. Advice Needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 13:17