We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherry trees blooming?

Leominster
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cherry trees blooming?

I checked the website and of course it says the trees aren't do to peak till the 24ish, but I've heard some people say the trees have already started blooming. Any confirmation of this?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,451 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cherry trees blooming?

I'm not sure who the "some people" are, but the Park Service website was just updated today so appears pretty accurate.

nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/about/…

Keep in mind there are all sorts of blooming trees around. Last weekend I saw some type of pink buds on a tree outside an office building around 19th and M Streets. A couple of tourists had stopped to take pictures. They probably went home and showed off their shots of the "cherry blossoms in Washington". :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cherry trees blooming?

There is a variety of cherry tree that blooms much earlier than the ones around the Tidal Basin and some of them are in bloom at various places. The little park at 21st and M and New Hampshire Ave NW has several in bloom. They are pretty, but not as beautiful as the later trees.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cherry trees blooming?

Nothing around the tidal basin is blooming yet, except some crocuses on the ground.

Leominster
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cherry trees blooming?

ok thats what I thought thank you :) "the people" that keep saying the trees are blooming are the busy bodies my mother talks to. I'm talking about the trees around the Tidal Basin that's what I want to see.

thank you

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cherry trees blooming?

The cherry trees around the tidal basin have all budded and have florets visible (see this helpful nps.gov website for what that means: http://www.nps.gov/cherry/cherry-blossom-bloom.htm). That means we are tracking towards peak bloom on the early side, in the 20's of March rather than early April -- i.e. by about the 24th as they have predicted.

6. Re: Cherry trees blooming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:43