We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

My wife and I have a flight from Lax to New Orleans on the 25th September at 9am, we are staying in Anaheim and are not really sure what time we should leave in the morning or what time to get there? Any thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

Be at the airport 90 minutes prior to flight time. The 25th is a weekday, Ill leave it to the experts on LA/Orange Co to tell you the bad news about traffic at that rush hour time.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,183 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

I presume you will have a rental car, so lets start at the end, LAX...

All LAX Rental Car companies are located off property, so you will need to take a shuttle to the airport after returning the car. (I like dropping off the rest of the family and the luggage at the terminal first, and then return the car by myself). I would plan about 30 minutes for the return issues.

So now we are looking at getting to LAX by 7 AM.

The most popular route from Anaheim to LAX is mainly carpools (2 or more people in the vehicle) I-5 to the 91 to the 605 to the 105. It can be done in 35 minutes if there is no traffic. 45 to 60 minutes is the usual time. So I would plan a start around 5:45 AM, that gives you a few minutes extra in case something happens.

Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

Thanks for the speedy replys guys.

Darkbeer, unfortunately we won't have a rental car. We were hoping to be able to catch one of the disneyland resort area express buses back to Lax, but I'm not sure it leaves early enough. Return transfers begin at 6am from Anaheim to Lax. Do you think this would arrive early enough?

Thanks again.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,183 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

Yes, the typical Disneyland Express Airport bus takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to LAX and drop people off much of the day.

So if there is a 6 AM departure from the Disneyland Hotel (You would be picked up earlier at your Hotel), that would work.

Otherwise, I would look at a Shared Van or Private Van to the Airport. If you use one of the main players, such as Prime Time or SuperShuttle, they will advise you as to when they should pick you up based on your flight info.

primetimeshuttle.com/locations/airportshuttl…

supershuttle.com/Locations/LAXAirportShuttle…

Newcastle, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

Thanks again Darkbeer, appreciate the help.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
44,594 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

Now let's talk about once you get to the Airport. If you are checking in bags, 2 hours is plenty of time to do that and go through security and get to your gate.. If you check in online and then just drop the bags off at the airport , you will get through faster. Then you just have to go through security and get to the gate and that can be 15 to 30 or so minutes to get through security depending on the terminal and time of day. If you have no bags to check in, you will go through faster.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 06:28
NJ
Level Contributor
519 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

I have the worst luck with So Cal traffic so I'd double whatever the estimated travel time is . . . just in case.

8. Re: How early should I arrive at Lax for a domestic flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 12:17