We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming off Avila Beach?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

We're heading to Avila Beach next week. Wondering whether I need to get a bathing suit for the trip. Is it warm enough to go into the water, or is it too early in the summer for that?

8 replies to this topic
Sandown, New...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,626 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

Water is cold (for me at least). Sharks are commonplace at Avila as well.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

Water is warmer than many places on the central coast, but still cold. You will be sharing the water with sea lions, and other bait.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article213622574.html

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
3. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

This time of year it is probably about 57 to 60 degree water temperature at Avila. Often websites with surfing reports will include approximate water temperatures if you want a better guess.

Level Contributor
15,059 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

It's cold in mid-August. No where on the California coast has warm ocean temps (around San Diego may barely push into the 70s and that is still COLD).

You want warm ocean temps, head to Hawaii. (But then if you live in SF you should know this.)

Level Contributor
38 posts
5. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

Yes, I know it’s cold off the coast in SF. But Avila is quite a bit further south and I have seen pics of people in the water there so I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

Sharks! Good thing it’s too cold to go in the water.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
25 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

Great Whites love Avila!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Save

Thanks everyone-- cold water + sharks means I'm not going to worry about a swimsuit!

Reply to: Swimming off Avila Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avila Beach
Recent Conversations
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.