We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
857 posts
154 reviews
Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

Part 1: Avila Beach

Plan well and be flexible when things happen.

Friday 9/18: Drove to Indy for our early morning flight. Boarded and was ready to go. Then, the captain announced that the maintenance on the plane from last night was still not done. We all will have to de plane and rebook.

Words of my mother came to me. “The gate agent controls your vacation at this point. Be nice to them.”

As we stood in line, I saw the gate agent was taking a great deal of abuse. Then we were next.

I asked him how his day was going? Too early to tell was the response.

I said you have been handling everyone in line more professionally than I could have. The agent smiled and took our boarding passes.

He looked in the computer and called other airlines. He told us he could not get us to San Jose until late. But, he could get us to San Francisco by 1:30 local time.

We chose San Francisco and thanked him for all of his help.

It was not until I was on the phone with the rental car company that I noticed we were in first class now. Thanks Mom.

Originally we were to have lunch with our aunt when we landed in San Jose. Now we just drove by here house and visited. Then, on to Avila Beach.

We arrived at the San Luis Bay Inn around 9:30. Checked in and was directed to the Time Share desk. Yes, it is a time share, but we already knew this. We now have an appointment at noon tomorrow.

Up to our room, it was very nice with a kitchen. We have been up 22 hours, time for bed.

Saturday 9/19: Time to explore.

The San Luis Bay Inn sits up on a hill overlooking Avila Beach. There are many places to sit, drink your coffee and enjoy the views of Avila and the ocean.

We took the short walk down to Avila and enjoyed the views along the way. One thing I noticed was there were dogs on the beach. Many dogs. You see, we go to Florida a great deal of the time. No dogs on the beach in Florida. Our dog would have enjoyed this trip.

We then stopped for something to eat at Avila Grocery & Deli. Thanks Kibblesmom. My wife had a great and large veggie omelet and I had a bowl of clam chowder. Nice and hot for the cool morning.

By then it was time for our noon appointment. Got out gift card and left.

Now for wine tasting. I want to thank mini for explaining how this works.

First stop, Edna Valley Winery. The views from the tasting room were great. Thanks Kibblesmom. Two more stops and we had 2 bottles of great wine.

For dinner we went to the Olde Port Inn. Thanks Kibblesmom. Good food, great service and great views, including below the table. We also enjoyed the seals, on and off the pier.

We went back to our room, sat on the balcony and enjoyed some of our wine while watching the fog roll in. No wander Avila is such a secret.

Sunday 9/20: Packed an overnight (several days) bag and drove to Montana de Oro State Park. We loved Montana de Oro. Thanks Kibblesmom. It was foggy, but not too bad. We started our hike at Spooner’s Cove. We met many morning joggers along the trail. And we found the steps down to the beach. It was a great time exploring there.

But, our time was short and we had to leave. I wish we would have had more time…

Thanks for reading part 1 of our trip report. As I find time I will write the rest of the parts in:

Part 2: Yosemite

Part 3: San Simeon

Part 4: Monterey

You can also view our vacation pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

I used to spend my summers at Avila Beach---back in the late 50's. I know it is very different now, but I enjoyed the memories, reading you report.

Maybe it's time for a return visit ---with our dog!

Did you also visit the Avila Winery? I've seen their wine for sale in Manhatten. . . but never here on the West Coast. Go figure.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

Thanks for the trip report! Isn't Avila Beach a fantastic place?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,118 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

I'm so glad you had a great time here, rwdw. And glad to hear you enjoyed the places I recommended!

And isn't great to sit and watch the fog roll in?

I hope you can come back and spend more time in the area. There are more places I can send you.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
857 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

Enzian, Your forum posts were very helpful with out AZ trip last year. I know the Avila will not be the Avila of your childhood. But, it is still a wonderful place to visit. Take your dog if you can. And, no we did not visit Avila Winery.

scooterboss, Avila Beach is a fantastic place.

Kibblesmom, Thank you for all of your help. You have helped make this part of our vacation a great on.

It looks like I will not be able the next part untill this weekend.

Level Contributor
39,325 posts
1,019 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

Thank you for the great report, Avila Beach is such a nice area to spend time in, I love the pier there and quaint little downtown area. :)

6. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Avila Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2010, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Avila Beach
Recent Conversations