We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Topic
Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

We're looking for a hotel with suites for a 1 week stay in July. We have 2 kids (ages 5 and 7). Which of these two would have the best: options, beach, pool, rooms, and area for our young family. I appreciate you time!

Are there other suite hotels with a pool, near a beach that would be good to look at too?

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,095 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

Avila Lighthouse Suites is right across the street from the beach with restaurants, the pier and shopping close by. Avila is a good choice because it tends to be sunnier and warmer than Pismo. Avila is somewhat protected with hills on 3 sides that block the wind and the south facing properties of Avila means less fog, which is quite common along the coast in the summer months. For an additional swimming experience, you might want to enjoy a dip at Avila Valley Hot Springs Pool: http://www.avilahotsprings.com/

The Pismo Lighthouse Suites sits on a bluff overlooking the ocean, has NO beach access, shops or many dining options nearby.

Here's another option in Pismo Beach on the beach and close to downtown shops, restaurants and the pier (and, yes, they have a family suite):

http://www.sandcastleinn.com/rooms.php

Edited: 27 January 2011, 12:15
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

You had me at sunnier and warmer. This is great info. Thanks! I posted this question over on the pismo forum too. If you see it there, you can ignore me. Thanks again!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,095 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

Please understand that I clarified Avila as .... "tends to be sunnier & warmer".

It can still get foggy and be cool in Avila, but there are nearby inland areas you can go to find warm sunshine, like San Luis Obispo, Lopez Lake (water slides) & Avila Valley (Avila Valley Barn has fresh produce, baked goods, ice cream & farm animals in a pen you can feed).

Have fun

Edited: 27 January 2011, 15:07
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

These are great suggestions for my little family. Thanks. Do you think it will be super foggy in July? Will it be warm during the day?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,095 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

I wish I could predict what the weather will be like this summer because every year is different. Last summer was the coldest summer I can remember in the 22+ years I've lived here. I started some of my mornings wearing flannel shirts! The summer before that was pretty temperate and not a lot of fog. Since the new year started, we have had some of the most beautiful, warm days one could ever hope for. Funny how some of our best weather is in the middle of winter, while summer can be downright cold. There's just no way to know for sure what July will be like while you're here. That's why I gave you options for warmer inland places not too far from the coast. Plan on Mornings/evenings to be cool with some fog/overcast. The sun usually makes an appearance mid to late morning through the afternoon. We may have some "warm" days, but generally, summer temps range from the mid/high 60's to low 70's along the coast. The cooler temps and fog have a lot to do with the heating up of the state's interiors, which causes the ocean water to rise, producing fog & cool breezes. The people who live in the inland valleys flock here in the summer to escape the triple digit heat.

Bring jackets/sweaters for the cooler mornings/evenings that are easily removed if/when the day warms up. Our coast is a nice place to relax any time of the year.

It's a laid back environment and there's a lot of things you can do here: hike the bluff trail in Montana de Oro State Park, rent kayaks in Morro Bay and paddle around the estuary, tour Hearst Castle and then drive 4 miles north of there and see the elephant seals laying on the beach, the Charles Paddock Zoo in Atascadero, Solvang/Nojoqui Falls Park. And the nearby Village of Arroyo Grande has an old fashioned ice cream shop, western theme facade and a town park behind the south side shops with gazebo and swinging bridge over the Arroyo Grande Creek (and chickens running about!)

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Southern California
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

Although the sandcastle inn may look good on paper, in reality its fairly plain. If you're looking for nice rooms the lighthouse suites in Pismo is wonderful! While there isn't direct beach access, most all of the hotels in Pismo are on a bluff, and require quite a bit of walking/navigating narrow stairs to get to the sand (If you have very small children or older people I wouldn't recommend Pismo for this reason). The hotel itself is very family friendly though, there is a game room with pool tables, outdoor ping pong, volleyball courts (you can check out balls/paddles/pool cues at the front desk) and a GIANT outdoor chess set which was the highlight of my younger brothers' trips.

I have never stayed at the Avila Beach location, but I will tell you Pismo is beautiful and with a 5 minute drive you can easily access the downtown/pier area without any trouble. My family of 5 personally chooses to return to this hotel year after year and has never had a complaint.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?

Thank you.

Reply to: Lighthouse Suites...Avila or Pismo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avila Beach
Recent Conversations