We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apple Farms in See Canyon

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Apple Farms in See Canyon

Before visiting SLO for its Thu farmers market I searched for info on the apple farms in See Canyon & read a 2007 review which I must reply to since one of the farms we visited was based on the old review which needs to be updated. We visited 2 Apple Farms on 9/1, 2011 on See Canyon Road. The first one, Fruit Ranch, had just opened that day & was selling only Gala apples of which we bought 15 lbs for $25. Then we continued on See Canyon Rd to Gopher Glen which had a much greater selection & 9 variety of apples for sale. We bought 4 lbs each of 5 varieties for $1.25/lb or $25 total for 20 lbs.

Although Gopher Glen sounds like a bargain, it turned out that we had better value from Fruit Ranch, here's why:

All the bags of apples that we received from Gopher Glen had a significant number of culls, apples that you would never see in a store. Fruit Ranch only had one with a slight blemish. I don't think it was anything personal by the Gopher Glen employees since 3 different people filled our orders it's more likely culls are included to be sold per the owners. Fruit Ranch apples were on the small side since it was early in the season but it was obvious that they took care to choose only the best to be sold. Culls are normally used for juice & we did buy a gallon of their juice which turned out to be excellent.

I felt it incumbent to write this review for the benefit of others who might try their luck. All in all, the experience was disappointing as we had not been here in quite a while & have fond memories of much better experience (& better value) of our annual trips here going back 15 - 20 years ago. Now we will just stay with our own Gizdich Ranch near Watsonville (Monterey Bay area).

2 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,485 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apple Farms in See Canyon

It would be better if you posted this in the review section, as this will eventually get lost in the forum stream over time and no one will see it, save for the few of us who will look at it today.

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apple Farms in See Canyon

I tried to post this in the review section but, being new (just joined yesterday) I wasn't able to do it for some reason & so I posted it where I could with the realization of at least doing my duty. Perhaps you could repost it for me as it was your review that got me to go there. I later learned that there was an ownership change in 2010, that the people who own it are the same people who own Avila Barn. Perhaps that was the cause of the downgrade in service. Thank you for your advice though. I'm sure at the time you posted it, it was a quality operation.

Mentioned in this post
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Reply to: Apple Farms in See Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avila Beach
Recent Conversations