We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
439 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

On a trip down the coast. Will end up in Santa Barbara. What are pros/cons to staying in Cayucos vs. Avila Beach in February (weather not the concern)?

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,039 posts
6,071 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

Both are small friendly towns - and both have some good places to eat. I prefer Avila Beach, as I usually tie it in with a long soak in the public hot tubs at Sycamore Springs

http://www.sycamoresprings.com/relax/

Its a nice long soak - under the trees....wonderful and relaxing.

You do not need to stay here to enjoy - just pay the rate....

There is excellent golfing at Avila Beach, and even if golfing is not your thing, its fun to explore the boat harbor area....

Cayucos is similar in terms of restaurants, small stores, etc. So the only 2 differences i see are the above....

Others may have different opinions....

In Avila Beach area, I like Avila Lightouse Suites

http://www.avilalighthousesuites.com/

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

Avila I believe has more options - Inn at Avila Beach, Avila Valley Inn (not on the ocean), San Luis Bay Inn, Sycamore Mineral Springs (every room has a private mineral hot tub), La Fonda Hotel. The hot tubs at Sycamore are pretty spectacular, and there is a great spa there is well. Avila additionally has a string of winetasting rooms right in the "downtown area" next to the ocean boardwalk. Several restaurant options, if you're here long enough you can rent a kayak in Port San Luis and/or walk/bike the Bob Jones Trail, weather permitting. Cayucos is a lovely town, Avila is Paradise (no bias of course).

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
509 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

You might want to consider the distance between the two, depending on when you want to continue on to get to Santa Barbara. From Cayucos, heading south on Hwy 1 and then the 101 out of San Luis Obispo, it will take you about 1/2 hour to Avila Beach.

Personally, I'm partial to Cayucos. There's a pier to walk out on, or the beach with great views of Morro Rock to the south. It has a more historic feel to it but has several motels along Ocean Avenue - some new, some with a 50's/60's ambiance. You can have a beer at the old Cayucos Tavern or go to Hoppe's, Ducky's, Sea Shanty or other unique restaurants in town...all price ranges.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

I don't think there are any pros/cons to either. Both are fine. Cayucos remains older and funky, while Avila has been molded into a modern, semi-upscale beach town.

Cayucos is right along Highway 1. You exit at Cayucos and you're practically right on the beach.

Avila is somewhat remoter along the coast. You have to drive through a wooded valley to get there, but it's a pretty drive and not a terribly long one. Maybe 5 minutes off Highway 101.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

Just to add perspective - Avila is also a very old historic town; however about 15 years ago the entire town was torn down, dug up and rebuilt due to an oil spill. Very unusual story. A couple of the original buildings were preserved. Many of us prefer the original town.

Level Contributor
36,976 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

Avila has a very small, upscale downtown area right across the street from the ocean. They have a nice pier there and pretty beach. You will be just minutes away from Shell Beach and Pismo, two nice places to check out.

Custom House, Mirasol, Lido and Ventana Grill are a few of our favorite restaurants there. :)

7. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 15:35

8. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 15:35

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?

Cayucos is a small quiet coastal town. Usually really crowded in July especially on the 4th. Beach in walking distance, reasonable rates on hotels and some smaller older motels. Avila is crowded all summer and very expensive to stay in but has lots of great restaurants. I prefer the relaxed atmosphere of Cayucos myself.

Reply to: Avila Beach vs. Cayucos for one night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avila Beach
Recent Conversations