We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Luis Bay Resort

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
39 reviews
264 helpful votes
San Luis Bay Resort
Save

We are Diamond owners and considering a trip to San Luis Bay Inn. Read the reviews and some complained about the poor view. Looks like we may be driving from Portland. No convenient flights. That is close to 900 miles. Not anxious to drive that far to not get ocean view . Anyone have an idea what percent of rooms are non-ocean view? If 50% may not be worth risk. Or are most of non-ocean views decent views of mountain.

At Kaanapali and Poipu non-ocean views are fine.

4 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
13 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: San Luis Bay Resort
Save

If you check the photos posted up with the trip advisor reviews of the hotel, you'll see that the views are either ocean or mountain, really nothing else to view in the area unless maybe you get a pool view. During much of the season this resort is only half-full so you probably won't have trouble getting an ocean view except maybe Fri Sat nights.

Alaska has nonstop flights PDX to Santa Barbara and the drive to Avila isn't bad at all...maybe 90 minutes and you can stop in Solvang for a stroll or visit the wineries , cruise by the ranches in the Santa Ynez Valley. It's a pleasant drive depending on time of year/time of day and traffic. You might even want to spend one night in Santa Barbara or Solvang while you're in the area.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: San Luis Bay Resort
Save

My niece flew directly from PDX to Santa Barbara a little over a week ago to camp with her family in Pismo Beach, so it is an option to consider. As HaroldnMaude mentioned, it's only about a 90 minute drive to Avila Beach from Santa Barbara. Better than a 900 mile drive, for sure.

The location of San Luis Bay Resort overlooks Avila Beach, which is a great little beach town with a pedestrian friendly promenade that leads right out to the pier. Some good local dining in Avila, too. From Olde Port Inn (seafood) to Fat Cats to the Custom House. There's pizza, ice cream, wine tasting in town, too.

The drive into Avila is through a pretty wooded valley. Sycamore Mineral Springs is located along that drive and is a great place for a soak in one of their hot springs mineral tubs.

Have you tried emailing the resort to see about booking an ocean view room?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
39 reviews
264 helpful votes
3. Re: San Luis Bay Resort
Save

Thanks for the responses. Had tried flying into Monterey, but there were connections. think the best I could do was 6 hours through LA. I did not check Santa Barbara. I had even tried Alaska but not well enough. I checked that direct flight out and it can work for us.

I think those who had worst comments were single night people booking with hotels.com or similar. One person posted pictures of view from their room on TA and they were pretty bad. aerial views of resort looks like most of rooms have a view, ocean or mountain. I don't see many places where you would be looking into another building, but it is hard to tell for sure. c

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: San Luis Bay Resort
Save

Yeah, It's a pretty big property. Have to keep in mind that this was originally built as a hotel before it became a timeshare.

And, yep. Alaska Air is the airline my niece used.

And the ironic thing about that is that, the day after she flew in, there was an article in the San Luis Obispo Tribune about the SLO airport looking into bringing direct flights in from either Portland or Seattle via Alaska Air, although there currently aren't any talks in the works to make it happen. But perhaps a future visit might not entail so much effort.

Reply to: San Luis Bay Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avila Beach
Recent Conversations
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.