We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel?

My husband and I are going to Avila Beach for a weekend in December. I can't decide between the Inn at Avila and the Avila La Fonda. Which do you think would be better for an anniversary? And why? Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel?

Either the Inn at Avila or the Avila Lighthouse Suites have amazing water views. The Fonda isn't on the water and backs right up to a parking lot.

Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel?

Here's the view of Avila La Fonda you won't see on their website.

https://goo.gl/maps/KXc55orBUV72

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel?

Thanks. The two that you mentioned definitely have a better view. It doesn't seem like all of their rooms are ocean front, though. But any view is better than the parking lot!

What about the rooms? How do you feel about the rooms?

Level Contributor
36,976 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel?

The Inn @ Avila is right across from the ocean and has a cool rooftop relaxation area. I would stay there. :).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel?

We always stayed at the Inn at Avila when our son was at college in SLO. Very nice for a weekend retreat.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel?

The Inn at Avila Beach has also gone through a recent re-model. It's located at a higher elevation on Front Street and affords great views of the beach and pier.

Avila La Fonda's rooms make up for the lack of a view, but just not "worth" it, IMO. In addition to not having a view, it kinda feels like it's sitting in a hole, since it's at the bottom of a hill behind Front Street, so you would have an uphill walk getting to the beach and places to eat from that location.

Reply to: Which Hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avila Beach
Recent Conversations