We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 years later...advice?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
10 years later...advice?

Hi! My (now) husband and I visited Ambergris Caye 10 years ago and stayed at Banyan Bay Villas. We at looking at coming back Oct 1st for a week. This is short notice due to having been booked in Turks and Irma changing our plans. Is AC still the same? Where should we stay? We enjoyed BB back the. But maybe looking for something more lively/closer to town. We would like a kitchen and pool. Also...what kind of tours can we do? Catamaran day tours for snorkleing and beaches? Thanks for your help!

7 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 years later...advice?

We've been traveling to Ambergris for about 15 years. It's much busier than it was when we first started going. I do appreciate having some of the streets paved. I don't appreciate the ever increasing numbers of cars and golf carts.

I'm guessing most places will be pretty quiet the first week in September. Take a look at Caribbean Villas, Coral Bay Villas (I own a unit here), Isla Bonita Yacht Club, all those are south of town, but, closer than Banyan Bay.

In town Sunbreeze Suites would be an option as well as Paradise Villas. Higher end, look at the Phoenix.

Lots of sailing trips and/or fishing trips. Also, lots of trips to the mainland for Mayan sites and cave tubing.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 years later...advice?

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll check those out. Also, how will the weather be I'm 3 weeks, lol. Rain? Sun? Got? Thanks!

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
957 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 years later...advice?

I've lived here for 11 years now. Yes it has changed. A great deal. I don't mind the changes myself while others do. Many roads are paved. You can get everything from sushi to French food in restaurants. The south has been developed on the coast almost to the tip of the island and up north is lively and getting very developed. Banyan Bay hasn't changed too much. The restaurant is now called Pier 366 and is trying to be a bit fancier. Many places will be closed when you're here though. I had some friends visit yesterday from other parts of Belize and there wasn't much on offer for lunch in town. JeanH has given you a good idea of the properties that might fit your needs. I'd also look at Oasis in Boca del Rio.

Have a great trip!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 years later...advice?

Blue Tang and Mayan Princess also good options if you want kitchen (MP a smaller one but functional as long as you are not planning to cook a huge meal)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 years later...advice?

I am staying at Sunset beach and they have kitchens and a pool, but it's not a resort. VRBO. Looks very nice, 17 units.

http://t.hmwy.io/r2kd/1jvTSL7VnG

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 years later...advice?

Thank you all for the replies. I am looking forward to seeing all the changes to A.C. Your reccomendations are so helpful!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
263 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 years later...advice?

Paradise villas is a quiet oasis in town with the amenities you want.

Reply to: 10 years later...advice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted