We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from BZE to San Pedro - how much time do we need?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
41 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from BZE to San Pedro - how much time do we need?

Hello! We are flying into BZE and land at 12:45 pm. What is a reasonable time to book a flight from BZE to San Pedro? Is 1:45 pm too early? We have not been to BZE before so I wasn't sure how big/small/slow/fast it would be and how long customs/immigration would take. And, if we miss a flight, are Maya and Tropic flexible about putting us on the next one? Same thing about the way back. We depart from BZE at 4:30 pm. Does leaving San Pedro on a 2 pm flight give us enough time to check in for our flight back to the US? Thanks in advance for your advice.

4 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from BZE to San Pedro - how much time do we need?

It's has never taken me more than about 45 minutes to get through Immigration, baggage claim and Customs, but I've heard that it has taken longer for some travellers.

Wait ing for luggage to come off the plane has always been the longest delay, so with only carry-on, you'll get through quicker.

Based on that, I'd say the 1:45 flight is too early -- I'd get the next one. In any case, if you're running late, the airline will probably just put you on the next available flight.

For flights to the USA, the airlines request that passengers check-in 3 hours before departure time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
263 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from BZE to San Pedro - how much time do we need?

Your plan is correct, yes to all questions. However I believe the official line is arrive BZE 3 hrs before an Intl departure...

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,569 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from BZE to San Pedro - how much time do we need?

I have consistently booked a Tropic Air flight an hour or so after my scheduled arrival time at BZE. If our international flight is late, not a problem. If we're delayed getting off the plane, or immigration and/or customs lines are long, they just put on the next flight.

These are small planes, though, when you look at Tropic's website, it lists one flight for 1:45, the reality is that there are as many flights as there are passengers with reservations. Virtually all of the passengers are off those international flights, they start flying as soon as the first one is full (12 passengers), so the first passengers off the plane will often arrive in San Pedro before they were even scheduled to depart.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
41 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from BZE to San Pedro - how much time do we need?

Thank you all! So, I will book the 2:40 pm flight from BZE to San Pedro, and on the way back take a 1:30 flight from San Pedro to BZE.

Reply to: Flying from BZE to San Pedro - how much time do we need?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ambergris Caye