We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

Hello,

Family of 6 (grandparents, 2 adults and 2 children aged 10 & 7) heading to AC next March and Looking at these 2 properties...

Would love to hear your thoughts on which might suit better... the banyan bay suites I understand are better located from a grocery store perspective but seem a little less luxurious than pelican reef? Cost would seem to suggest so too!

The balconies also seem a bit close together at Banyan Bay (from a photo) - is privacy an issue?

Are there lots of stairs at either property (my father is nearly 80 so has started to prefer elevators!!)

Any thoughts / your experiences please share!

Thanks in advance

7 replies to this topic
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
141 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

I can't speak to Pelican, but I have stayed at Banyan Bay a few times. No issue at all with balcony privacy, although I guess it depends on what you're doing there...condos I've rented usually have a balcony on the front and a smaller one off the master bedroom. I also have problems with stairs, but I was able to handle them fine, I think they are all only 2 stories, but may be wrong.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
141 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

TA posted this twice, dont know why

Edited: 07 December 2017, 12:58
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,389 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

I’ve never stayed at either, have friends who stay at Banyan Bay every year. The balconies feel private enough.

Pelican Reef has minuscule balconies. I’ve never understood why they were built that way. Only room for a couple of chairs, maybe a small table. I don’t know about elevators.

I much prefer the location of Banyan Bay. A couple grocery stores, a bakery, some small restaurants close by. Though, I would probably rent a golf cart if you want to get out and about on a regular basis.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

We stayed at Pelican Reef for 9 days last April. How many bedrooms are you looking for and I can answer your question about the stairs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

It would be 3 bedrooms...

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

The only 3 bedroom units are located on top (3rd) floor. There is a gradual, looping, wide staircase leading up to the front door of the unit. There are several landing areas to rest if needed. There is a second much narrower/steeper staircase leading up to one of the 2 bedrooms on the main level. I don’t think your father would have a problem with the big staircase. The small one would be difficult. One person in our group has MS and had no issue with the stairs. If you plan on exploring everything Ambergris has to offer you won’t be going up and down stairs all day long. The nicest bedroom takes up the entire second story of the unit. A very narrow/steep set of stairs lead up to it. It would be perfect for the 2 adults. We stayed on the South end on our first trip and loved the area so we looked around the same area for our second trip. We did rent a golf cart both trips. The Pelican Reef customer service was very good prior to our booking. It was outstanding during our stay. The staff were incredible. We spent a couple of nights around the pool bar talking to the two bartenders (Edwin and Kai). The free breakfasts were excellent and had several menus to choose from. The lunches were good as well but cost extra. I’m not sure how big Banyan Bay is but Pelican only has 24 units so it never felt crowded. I would read ALL the reviews on both resorts prior to making a decision. If we go back for a third time we’ll stay at Pelican Reef again. Some additional info…. We did a Altun Ha ruins tour with Suya Tours but it was very hot under the sun and a fair amount of flat walking. Maybe not so good for your father. The YOLO Sunset Dinner Cruise may be a good option for you. We did the booze cruise and had a blast. It may be a little too wild for the kids and grandparents depending on the other travelers but the dinner cruise looked tamer. The Chicken Drop is great for the whole family, the hermit crab races at Crazy Canucks for the adults only. Parasailing was great and suitable for the whole family. We did a beach BBQ/snorkeling/manatee search with Captain Oliver. He is very laid back, patient, and you would have the whole boat to yourselves. Very suitable for the entire family and he’s a great cook. Grandparents can stay on the comfortable boat if they didn’t want to get in the water. If you wind up staying on the South end the tex mex restaurant is okay if you don’t want to go far. The Black Orchid and Hidden Treasures were excellent. Hidden Treasures offers a free shuttle service to pick you up but was unreliable for us. It only showed up one out of two times we requested it. The food at Hidden Treasures made up for the no show. Robin's Chicken was very good, as well as bread and pastries from The Baker and homemade cakes and salsa from Maria’s Produce stand. Milkshakes for the family at the Chocolate Factory can’t be missed. Guess I kind of ran on but I hope you enjoy your trip.

Edited: 09 December 2017, 09:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas

Thank you so much JohnVan2011 - so useful and much appreciated. We cannot wait for our trip!

Reply to: Banyan Bay vs Pelican Reef villas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ambergris Caye