We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few random questions!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
294 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Just a few random questions!

Eek! We leave for San Pedro in 10 days! We are well traveled, but this is our first trip to Belize, so a few random questions....

1. We have made arrangements to rent a cart during our 10 days. Do we need to be concerned about getting pulled over if we go out and have a few drinks?

2. I have been to many beaches and the etiquette can change even within the same country. Is topless sunbathing acceptable?

3. Money... when we go to Mexico, we usually use a bank ATM for cash. It seems that I have seen a couple post that have said exchanging cash can be difficult, and ATM's are far between. How do you handle finances?

4. We are bringing a small blender to make our own drinks in our room. I would imagine tequila & rum would be priced decently. What does a mid range bourbon cost there? Would it be worth it to pack a bottle of our own booze?

5. Excursions... my husband is set on a diving trip. I would like to see some of the caves. I can't recall the name of the one that has the remains of a young girl, but it looked interesting. Recommendations???

Thanks in advance!

Jaime

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a few random questions!

1. Yes, if you're driving erratically.

2. Usually not acceptable in Belize, but I have seen it on rare occasions in less crowded beach areas. I've never seen any topless bathers told to cover up, but you might be asked to in a more public area.

3. US dollars are widely accepted in Belize, so just bring some -- just make sure the notes are in good to excellent condition (no tears or writing). You will probably get BZ dollars as change, or now I seem to get more old, worn out US notes as change. Make sure you spend all you BZ currency first because it might be difficult to exchange outside Belize (keep it if you plan a return trip).

There are ATMs in the town of San Pedro. It's never happened to me, but I've heard a few reports that ATMs sometimes run out of money on weekends -- plan accordingly.

4. Pick up a bottle at duty-free.

5. Was the cave called the ATM cave? Plan for a full day day-trip to the mainland.

Edited: 12 July 2016, 05:09
Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a few random questions!

I can answer a few questions since we were there last year. I didn't notice any topless beaches while we were there. U.S. money is accepted everywhere (2 BZ = 1 US dollar). We got a venture capital visa credit card also that does not charge foreign transaction fees. Better to pick up a bottle of what ever before you get to the Caye. We took all of our mainland tours while we stayed on the mainland. Less travel. Tikal, ATM, and Mountain Pine Ridge were all terrific. We are planning on going to Lamanai this year from the Caye. We posted from my Catamaran post. Whatever you decide, make sure you do Hol Chan while on the Caye. It was the best coral reef we have ever been to.

Mentioned in this post
Catamaran Belize
Catamaran Belize
508 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,389 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a few random questions!

We live in San Pedro several months of the year. We rarely have trouble getting cash out of the ATM's, but, we don't try very often on weekends.

Rum is very reasonably priced, Tequila not so much, since it is imported. Same with bourbon. My husband drinks some vodka, I think it's maybe half again as much as it costs in the US, I would guess other spirits would be similar in cost.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
central missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a few random questions!

We are here now. I can assure you there is a wide variety of liquor available at the grocery stores. My wife was concerned there may not be many options of wine, but that too is plentiful.Prices are reasonable. No need to stop at the duty free. Also, no problem with ATM's, but as mentioned US dollars are accepted everywhere.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a few random questions!

As stated by others.....have money that is in really good condition...I had some bills rejected by shops and restaurants for small tears or it being "wrinkled"...

Used the ATM near WINGS dept store with zero issues.

Rum is very good and reasonable on the island...if you like wine...stock up at the airport when you arrive and before you clear customs it's pretty expensive on the island. I stocked up and was very glad I did. It's pricey per glass while dining out also. I got my wine fix each night on our balcony looking at the amazing view with my "stash" from duty free....ahhh!! bliss..... Tequila on the island runs about $5.00-$10.00 more per bottle than at home same with Vodka depending on what you drink...

Have a super trip.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a few random questions!

Jaime,

We were there in April and had zero problems traveling through town after a few drinks. Be careful with too many because you will be maneuvering through pedestrians, bicycles, cars, dogs, and other golf carts while driving. The last thing you want to do is be involved in an accident or hurt someone. I'd check with where you're staying to see if they have a blender. A blender was common at most of the places we looked at and you'd hate to waste the space/weight in your suitcase. As far as the alcohol, I'm a Bourbon drinker and did a lot of research prior to my trip. I even called the store from the U.S and checked prices and selection. There are several duty free stores located before and after security. I bought at both places. The prices were competitive with a U.S liquor store, maybe a few dollars less on some items. The Bourbon selection was excellent and included both high and low end brands. It makes much more sense to stock up at the airport in Belize as it doesn't count towards your baggage weight limit. They even pack it safely in a box with your name on it for you. We brought plenty of cash and never used an ATM. We paid in U.S and spent any Belize we received in change whenever the opportunity came up. We used the last of our Belize at the airport prior to leaving.

Have a great time! (we're returning next April for trip #2)

John

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
294 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just a few random questions!

Thanks for all the great information. We are looking forward to a very relaxing adult vacation after just returning last week from a 9 day road trip with 2 teens to Disneyland and Vegas. I'm ready!!! LOL

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just a few random questions!

Thank you for posting your questions, we arrive 07.30 and this answered some of our questions too.

Have a wonderful time and I hope to read about it in your reviews when you return.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just a few random questions!

Is August and ok month to go if we go mid month. I know risk of hurricane season.

Sadly I can only take vacation in the summer and dying to snorkel

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
294 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just a few random questions!

While this is a first to Belize, I have done quite a few summer trips to the Caribbean. My experience has been brief rain mostly in the afternoon and evening (but it's still warm!). Weather has not been a negative factor in any of my trips. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America