We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Duty Free

I've seen many people mention "duty free" when talking about liquor being purchased at the airport in Belize City, and then brought with you to the island. What exactly is duty free? I see the store boxes it up for you to take, and it doesn't count against your luggage weight, but I've also seen it can be a carry on. Does that mean I will now need to check my (original) carry on for the flight to the island? I'm confused. Please help!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,512 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Duty Free

The only bags you can carry on a Tropic or Maya Island Air flight are things like backpacks or purses. They have to fit on your lap. No room under the seat, and, no overhead storage. All roller bags will have to be checked.

I have read recently that the duty free will bring it to the plane, once you have cleared security. Not sure if they do this all the time, you used to have to put it in checked luggage.

To be honest, we rarely bother. Other than the occasional bottle of 23 year old rum from Guatemala, which they don't have all the time.

If you need/want a specific brand, you're better off bringing it from home. Selection varies.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
181 reviews
2. Re: Duty Free

for me $$$...with wine...it was Totally worth it to shop duty free at the airport in Belize. $$ expensive on the island both in the store and with my dinner. Yes, they really do box it up for you if you want. It's a small airport....

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Duty Free

Bring something like Ziploc bags to pack your liquor in checked luggage just to be on the safe side.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
210 reviews
4. Re: Duty Free

You can get liquor cheaper at the local grocery stores than at the duty free shot at the airport.

I was in Belize 2 weeks ago, and bought a bottle of Coconut Rum at duty free for $15 USD. That same rum was $22 BZE or $11 USD at the local grocery stores in San Ignacio. Prices are probably higher on the Cayes.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
181 reviews
5. Re: Duty Free

cheaper rum yes...but alcohol and wine....didn't see it cheaper anywhere on the island than the duty free had.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
210 reviews
6. Re: Duty Free

I guess it depends on the brand. My bf got what he was looking for cheaper in town in San Ignacio.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Duty Free

I have to agree with Maryann on this one. Name brand liqueurs were anywhere from 2 to 3 times more on the island than at the duty free stores. I didn't even see some of the high end items available at duty free in the 3 stores we stopped in on AC.

Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Duty Free

Thank you all for the great info!

Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Duty Free

I was able to get rum cheaper in San Pedro than at the duty free in Belize city-- bigger selection at the grocery store as well

Los Angeles...
11 posts
10. Re: Duty Free

We arrived last Saturday and visited duty free at Belize City Airport, the prices were good - $25 Herradura repasado tequila and $35 for Belvedere vodka. Just make sure you have access to ice if you plan to mix drinks (we didn't). Duty Free boxed it up for us and we put it on our cart and declared it, the boxed wine in and jerky and customs waved us through. Tropic Air was happy to Transfer it with our luggage for travel. If you drink wine, boxed wine worked out really well for us - our first boxed wine experience. I don't drink white wine at home but really enjoyed it cold from a box in the fridge while here - it's been hot and humid. Here on the North side of the island we saw a bottle of Crown Royal Apple for sale for $75USD.