We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed

Glendale, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Seaweed

I’ve read a few posts about the seaweed on Caye Caulker. Is it normal to have a wall of seaweed on the beaches or is it unusual for some reason? Planning a trip for October and need advice as to where to stay so the seaweed isn’t a problem. Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaweed

Hi. I'm currently staying on Caye Caulker for a few months. I'm guessing you are referring to the sargassum sea weed. It's accumulated on the eastern side of the caye, however the western side and the split appears unaffected. Hopefully local businesses will fund regular removal to keep their beaches clear.

Edited: 17 July 2018, 00:14
Glendale, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaweed

Thank you for your feedback! Any suggestions as to where to stay?

Edited: 17 July 2018, 13:31
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaweed

Depends on your needs- Iguana Reef and Sea Dreams. For self catering consider Macaw Appts on Back Street. Leeside rooms are on the west side, but I haven't seen the rooms.

Glendale, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaweed

Thank you for your help!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaweed

Come, relax and enjoy. A pleasure to help.

Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaweed

Just returned from Belize. Stayed at Weezie's cottages! It is no on the ocean and the sargassum sea weed was very smelly so we were thankful not to be staying at their ocean side location. Cottages were very clean, had a full kitchen and a pool. Nice outside seating area around the pool.

Reply to: Seaweed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted