We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maya Mountain or Caves Branch Jungle lodge or ??

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Maya Mountain or Caves Branch Jungle lodge or ??

I am in the beginning of planning a trip with my 3 kids (ages 10,13 and 15). I am looking at Maya Mountain Lodge and also Caves Branch jungle lodge. Does anyone have any comments on either of these? . We want to go to ATM, Tikal, cave tubing, and horseback riding. Is either of these 2 locations better than the other? We like the idea of being able to go into town from where we are, although we wont have a car. Also, do people tend to stay put at the jungle lodges? Or venture out? Some are quite remote. I want to make sure we have enought to do, with no TV's, and some tours that are only 1/2 day.

Any other recommendations would be great!

Thanks! Karen

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maya Mountain or Caves Branch Jungle lodge or ??

These lodges are both in the Cayo district, but in different areas. CB offers cave tubing and zip line on the river of the same name that runs thru their property. ATM and horses are not far away. MML is closer to Tikal, and you can book cave tubing, horses and atm from there as well.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maya Mountain or Caves Branch Jungle lodge or ??

Although you'll have to hire a shuttle or hop on a delivery truck (our kids loved that!) to get to town, consider Macal River Jungle Camp; you can read my description and review here on Trip Advisor - I think your kids would love it. Depending on how much time you have, you could split between a jungly place and a place closer to town. At MRJC you could enjoy canoing and hiking and hanging around in hammocks looking at parrots, toucans, motmots, and iguanas in the trees for a few days. Head for an overnight to Tikal (highly recommended over trying to cram it into a hot, touristy day trip) and head back into Belize and stay in/near town. In 2009 we stayed a few nights at the Aguada Hotel just over the bridge from San Ignacio and loved it, too. A great budget place with cute cabins between San Ignacio and the border is The Trek Stop. Caves Branch is spendy and a bit too resortish for my taste now (though we loved it in 2003); I wouldn't visit Tikal from there, especially as a day trip. Good luck - lots of good options out there!

www.belizecamp.com

www.aguadahotel.com

www.thetrekstop.com

www.cavesbranch.com

My photos/blogs/travelogues: flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maya Mountain or Caves Branch Jungle lodge or ??

If your children love adventure and nature they will not get bored in Belize. If they yearn for TV and Malls, maybe Belize is not the right place!

Seriously, good suggestions, and your children are the right age to get the best out of it. As I always suggest, have them do some research online about the Maya, the jungle etc before they come, they will then have a real appreciation for what they are seeing.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maya Mountain or Caves Branch Jungle lodge or ??

This may be a bit off topic but check out these cool items, especially fun for kids:

A great guide/game where you get to check off things you see and experience in Belize:

amazon.com/Play-Belize-Mesa-Somer/dp/0615198…

Cool laminated wildlife guides, light and easy to pack, laminated so you can take them on rainy hikes and soggy snorkeling tours:

rainforestpublications.com/belizeFieldGuides…

5. Re: Maya Mountain or Caves Branch Jungle lodge or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker