We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

Still in the planning stage here but considering 8 nights on Caye Caulker with 2-4 adults and two boys ages 9 & 13 then. We are avid snorkelers who also plan to do some fishing. Will we be bored staying that long? I know that's a pretty subjective question. We will have already spent 1 night at the zoo followed by 5 nights at Caves Branch. By that time I think relaxing and snorkeling will sound great. I have not booked anything yet but will be looking for a place with at least a kitchenett. I'm sure we will eat out quite a bit but how do groceries compare to US standards price wise?

Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

You will love CC! We have been there several times and are returning again next week. Last summer we took our 4 children (ages 8-15) and stayed for 10 days. Look on the VRBO.com website & you will see several homes to rent on CC. We always rent from Tom who owns Weezie's Cabin (which is the yellow house with the pool). Here is the link: http://www.vrbo.com/323702 We did a lot of research and for what his home offers, the location, etc., his rates are about the best you are going to find and the house, as I mentioned, has a pool, which our children loved. It has 2 bedrooms downstairs and a loft with 2 beds. It has a full kitchen that includes everything you will need. The home also has a water cooler and when the water runs out, the keeper brings more! Tom also has bikes to rent for the week and given the house is a 10 minute walk from the center of town, having the bikes is nice to bike around the island. We make most of our breakfasts and lunches in the kitchen and eat dinners out at restaurants.

There are several grocery stores on the island and you will find a little lower prices in any of the ones not located on the front street. Prices are about the same as the US, maybe a little lower, especially for non-imported items. There are many fruit/veggie stands and the prices are pretty comparable to the US.

We always book snorkeling with Carlos. He is very particular about safety, doesn't allow smoking (or shoes) on his boat, and adapts his tours to the guest's experience level. When we took our children last summer, Carlos made sure to bring an additional guide since our youngest was not a strong swimmer yet. He made sure she was able to see everything, including the Manatees, without holding the rest of the group back.

I hope your family enjoys CC as much as we do!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

Wow! Thanks so much! Great information, I appreciate you sharing :)

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

I would think 8 days would be a little too long on Caulker. It's laidback, so it's great for familes, but quite small. I'd use half your time there, and half at either AC or Placencia. Prices are comparable to other places at the local stores. Enjoy!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

I don't believe 8 nights is to long. However I would get a place with a pool for the kids to play while the adults have some down time. Just remember not much snorkeling off the beaches, just small fish & a lot of sea grass.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

We stayed across the road from Weazies cabin .At Valarosa house no pool but great upper floor of house (Cabin),Sun deck on top. Decent kitchenette.We stayed 7 nights . If you have a self contained place ,it seems a little different than a hotel. We watched a movie or two.Bought some fresh fruit and groceries .Along with some very affordable rum.:}.And just hung out . The weather in January was so so. But a week was not to long. The pool at weazies did look inviting.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

We stayed across the road from Weazies cabin .At Valarosa house no pool but great upper floor of house (Cabin),Sun deck on top. Decent kitchenette.We stayed 7 nights . If you have a self contained place ,it seems a little different than a hotel. We watched a movie or two.Bought some fresh fruit and groceries .Along with some very affordable rum.:}.And just hung out . The weather in January was so so. But a week was not to long. The pool at weazies did look inviting.

7. Re: Is 8 Nights too Long? Groceries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker
Recent Conversations