We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

My wife and I, along with our 10 month old and 7 other friends (including another 10 month old) will be arriving on a Saturday afternoon into BZE and want to get out to Caye Caulker that afternoon.

We'd like to water taxi since it's significantly cheaper than airfare to Caulker, but are trying to figure out the logistics of transporting 8 adults and two babies to the water taxi terminal. Would love any input!

(1) If we bring a car seat, will we be able to use it in a shuttle/taxi from the airport to the water taxi terminal? Or is there an option (bus) that would not require a car seat? I'm hoping to avoid bringing the car seat altogether unless it's needed.

(2) What's the most economical/fun way to get out to Caulker with a group of people? I saw the Tropic Ferry to AC and thought that looked like a fun method...but haven't found anything similar to CC.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

#1. Leave the car seats at home.

With a group that size you will have to take 2, probably 3 taxis. We just returned end of May and I don't recall seeing any van type taxis. The taxi drivers use their own vehicles. They crammed 4 of us in a Ford Taurus on our return. It was VERY uncomfortable. Ask the driver to take you to whichever water taxi terminal that will get you to CC soonest. Seems like the ride between airport and ferry was about 25 minutes. Water taxi ride was another 25 minutes.

The water taxis stop at CC on the way to AC except the express. We also stopped at Chapel Caye on our way to CC to drop off a couple of boxes. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Remember you are on island time.

We spent 6 nights a CC before spending 5 on AC. Wished we'd stayed on CC. We loved it!

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

Thanks! That's helpful.

Would be curious (for you or anyone else) - do you say "leave the car seats at home" because we won't be able to use them in the cars (safely or at all) or just because they're bulky/difficult to lug around?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,923 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

If you're staying on Caulker, there won't be any cars once you get there. I'd be very surprised is the cabs from BZE to the water taxi terminal will have functional seat belts in the back seats. So, unless you've bought your babies their own seats on the plane, I wouldn't bother with the car seats.

Now, if you're going to be doing mainland excursions and such by car, you might want to do some emailing to find out if any tour guides have seat belts available for use in their vehicles.

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

Thanks Jeanh, that's very helpful. We're spending about 6 days on CC and 4-5 days inland near San Ignacio. Sounds like a car seat is pretty useless for the CC part of the trip but we'll look a bit more for the second half.

thanks!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

Jeanh is correct. There are no cars on CC or paved roads. Taxis are golf carts. No seat belts. We stayed at Seaside Cabanas which is almost directly across from the water taxi terminal. It was centrally located and we walked everywhere. A carseat is a bulky item that IMO unnecessary unless you plan to do some tours on the mainland, and even then seatbelts might not be available.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

You're not in Ohio anymore. I think a baby seat might confuse a Belizian taxi driver.

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

Thanks to you both. I think we'll try to plan our inland trips in a way that's low-key and local enough to avoid needing a car seat. Don't want to cause trouble for any taxi drivers...and don't want to vacation in Ohio :)

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

I currently live on CC and travel into Belize City monthy for passport renewal. We have a cab driver we use each time we go into the city and he has a mini van. Bucket front seats and bench middle seat with room behind for luggage. Belize City traffic is crazy. Sudden starts and stops, many turns through side streets. It's at least a 25 minute ride from the airport to the water taxi. I have not had a small child for a very long time but I think I would want mine in a car seat for that amount of time. I can give you his name and number and any other suggestions if you'd like. Just my 2 cents US. Car seats are a hassle but better safe than sorry. Maybe you could email both water taxi's to see if they would store them for you in BC while you are on CC.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

My husband just reminded me that when we came into Belize City we actually had a large Chevy Van that picked us up at the airport. (I don't really remember that day because we were traveling w our 3 dogs and it was very stressful.) Anyway, it should be large enough to accomidate most of your party. Here is the phone number. You can call him to ask him about the size and car seats. Hope this helps Jason 501- 660 2999

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Caye Caulker from BZE with babies...

I travelled to Belize 4 times in the first year of my daughters birth. If you are going to be spending time on the mainland--which it looks like you are--I would 100% bring car seats. The main hwy can be very dangerous. As for CC you couldn't use them even if you wanted to ;-)

I now have a little 4 month old and we will be going down to San Pedro in a month. I will bring a car seat with me only because I use it on the plane; however, I will leave it behind.

Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker
Recent Conversations