We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Caye Caulker

Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Caye Caulker

We're traveling to Belize and then Caye Caulker for the first time in February , 2014. Suggestions for the best way to get from the Belize City airport to Caye Caulker?

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,481 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
433 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

Take a flight directly from BZE over. Tropic Air or Maya--I would recommend Tropic for reliability. Personally I wouldn't go any other way--I have done that flight 40+ times.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

I'm with Auddy. The flights are short and easy. Not terribly expensive either.

If you're on a very tight budget, you can take a cab from the international airport (US$25.00) to the Municipal airport and save some money. Not enough to make me want to drag bags around.

Or, take the above mentioned cab to the water taxi terminal and take the water taxi. Much cheaper. Takes about an hour. I generally find them crowded and uncomfortable.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

Another option might be Tropic Ferry...

http://www.tropicferry.com/

On the website, I see only San Pedro mentioned, not Caye Caulker, but contact them and find out if they go to CC -- it's on the way.

Tropic Ferry appears to be more of a private shuttle service that has to be arranged in advance. Passengers are met at the airport, driven in a private a/c shuttle vehicle to the boat (a 3 minute drive to a marina located across the highway from the airport), and transported directly to destinations on Ambergris Caye. The price is higher than a public water taxi.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 22:13
Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,481 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

Thank you!!!!!!!

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

As a person who lives on Caye Caulker who takes many trips a year that originate at the International Airport. Fly...and as mentioned above...Tropic Air. If you book ahead...tell the reservation agent via the website the company and plane you are flying in with. They will...if say...the plane is detained...wait for you. As you get close to the customs agents in line after collecting your bags. A very efficient porter will get your attention and ask you what you are doing...taxi...flight...just tell him tropic. He will grab your bags as the customs officer is done with them and make sure tropic knows you are in line. Save yourself the extra drama and time of catching a taxi to one of the water taxi companies and then traveling at least another hour in cramped boats. Just make a reservation through Tropic Air website and relax. Best way to travel. Period!!! Enjoy your stay in Belize!!!

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,481 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

Thanks so much! Very helpful! Average price of round trip ticket?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

http://www.tropicair.com/

Looks like US$125.00 per person plus taxes and fees.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

I just did a break down for a friend who is coming to CC. The water taxi will take 1.5 hours plus wait time, depending on when you get to the water taxi dock and the time the next boat leaves. I figured 1/2 hour from airport to water taxi and 1 hour ( 50 Min actually) on the boat. Total cost plus tips round trip 75 us. Long not so scenic trip through Belize City, long crowded, not so scenic boat ride.

To take the small plane, go from customs to their desk, don't need to bother w reservations, unless you are a big group, either will fit a couple on. They have flights about every hour, and between the two they alternate. A short wait time there and you are in the air 15 minutes max for 125US. Beautiful plane ride. Then a taxi on the island will cost you 5 bz per person plus tip.

So there ya have it.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

I appreciate the breakdown. As a first time traveler to Belize, it takes a while to gather all the little pieces together. This is what I love about TripAdvisor...real people and real experience on the receiving end of my questions! So I have one more...4 , maybe 6, of us will be traveling together. Would it be best to make a reservation for Tropic Air?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Caye Caulker

I have always made reservations o. Tropic. Our flights tend to arrive late in the day and I want to make sure that we have seats. These planes only sit about a dozen passengers.

With a larger group it might make sense to take a cab to the municipal airport and fly from there. It's considerably cheaper.