We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utila to Costa Rica

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Utila to Costa Rica

My wife and I are backpacking through Central America and want to go to Utila. From there we want to go straight to Costa Rica and skip Nicaragua because of what’s going on there (shame because we wanted to go there). I’m seeing if there is anyone out there that has done this recently? I’ve been trying to find the best option with cost and safety in mind. Am I right assuming we shouldn’t try and get a bus through Nicaragua? And I’ve been told San Pedro Sula is a dangerous city so I don’t think we should fly out of there. Unless anyone knows if you can get a direct but to the airport so we don’t have to be in the actual city? The last option for us would be to get a bus back to Guatemala City. It’s a long way to get a flight but it may be the safest option. Any advice would be appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula
Cortes Department, Honduras
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
3 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utila to Costa Rica

i would recommend you post this on globe treker' "thorntree forum" for central america. lots of overland travelers on that site, mostly tourists looking for resorts etc on this site. you could also try posting the question on the facebook page "utila buy and sell", you may get some responses.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utila to Costa Rica

ps. flying out of San Pedro Sula is fine, you can get the ferry from Utila to La ceiba and then the nonstop hedman alas bus to san pedro sula airport.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula
Cortes Department, Honduras
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utila to Costa Rica

you could also take the bus all the way to Copan (6.5 hrs with a stop in san pedro sula), spend a couple of days there looking at the mayan ruins and sculpture museum, then bus back to san pedro sula or on to guatemala city

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
Reply to: Utila to Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay Islands