We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Casa

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Casa

Hello,

We are a group of six (four adults and two 18 year old boys) who have spent our last two vacations on Ambergris Caye, Belize. We decided to try something different this year and chose Roatan. We are looking for recent information/reviews on Turtle Casa. The reviews I have found are good, but slightly older and sporadic. Ambergris doesn't really have great beaches but the ones in Roatan look much better. How's the beach in front of this rental? We like to stay in quiet, safe, friendly neighborhoods but still a quick taxi ride away from the center of things. Does this location fit our needs? The main airport in Belize City allowed each traveler to buy up to 4 liters of alcohol at any of the duty free stores prior to going through customs. It looks like things are different in Roatan. Are there any duty free stores in the arrival lobby in Roatan or do we need to bring in our own name brand bourbon from our departure airport in the US? We plan on picking up some of the local rums in town once we get there. Thanks in advance for any help!

John

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
14 replies to this topic
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
688 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Casa

Ok, I may get flagged over this, but here goes: Beach in front is a road and hard packed fine sand. Snorkeling is good out past the dock. Sand flies are bad in that area, and its in a really crappy neighborhood. Guess I don't need to say more. Look elsewhere.

You may be happier in Lawson Rock, West End or West Bay.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Alberta
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Casa

Maybe look at West Bay Village on West Bay Beach. Not sure when you're going so it could be booked up but there are several homes there. The one in front is a beautiful 3-bedroom house that could work. The 18 year olds would love WB Beach.

Another one that is close to West End and West Bay is Turtle Bay Resort. Several different accommodations there as well, plus they have a small pool. We've walked by it several times when we walk toward West End and it looks pretty cool. Away from the business of WBB but within walking distance.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Village
West Bay Village
68 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,840 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Alberta
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Casa

No duty free shops on arrival in Roatan. You can buy alcohol for reasonable prices at the grocery stores in Coxen Hole. There's also a grocery store in West End to make purchases. There is a so-called duty free in West End, but I thought they were more $$$.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Casa

There's a nice Duty Free Shop in West Bay. It's air conditioned! :-) It's always nice to go in to "check it out" on a hot day! The prices are OK. I sometimes get my wine from there, but the selection is better (at reasonable prices) at Eldon's supermarket in Coxen Hole. Even Woody's supermarket in West End has a broader selection than at Duty Free, but theirs is not "well maintained" (aka just collecting dust as they sit on the shelf), so if you're a wine connoisseur, you might be disappointed.

I haven't compared bourbon prices or selections, but all 3 places sell hard liquor. There's no limit as to how much you can purchase at Duty Free. No need to show your passport, either. Open 10 to 6-ish (or could be 5). Closed Sunday.

Many people ask their driver to take them to Eldon's for grocery shopping on their way to their condo/hotel upon arrival to the island. Or you could get a taxi to make a separate trip and ask him to wait. Drivers are very accommodating and can be trusted.

Ditto the above posts. I would suggest West End or West Bay. Although West Bay's beach is beautiful, West End also has a snorkeling beach (Half Moon Bay). West End feels more like a village with more restaurants and shops the WB. Both are easily accessible by water taxi.

Would your group like to learn how to scuba dive? If you want to give it a go, plan to do it early on during your stay. You might get hooked! Fun fact: it would be easier to stay in an area that has the dive shop shop you've chosen. It's much easier to walk there than to find transportation every day. You also might want to hang around as you will most likely have made new friends! See which one has your style!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g292…

Happy Planning!

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
201 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Casa

While I agree West Bay has an amazing beach and West End has both a beach and a small village...there is nothing quiet or neighborhood like about either one.

I find one need make a choice, quite and local-ish with little or poor beach or mostly tourists/expats with fablous beach and easy access to restaurants.

The last option is more isolation and a rental car.

Mindy mentioned Turtle Bay Resort, I have no idea where that, nor was I able to find a website.

Orchid Beach is between West End and West Bay, it is a cluster of rental homes om a small cliff more than it is neighborhood. It is fair easy access to both West End and West Bay, but the beach is not great.

Turtle Crossing is on the other side of the island, within walking distance if West Bay, if you like to walk. It is another cluster of rentals and some expats, no beach but on the plus side the breeze is always blowing, keeps the bugs down and it is all kinds of quite.

Shawnda mention Lawson Rock, it is a private gated community of expats and rentals, I have never been in there so have no idea what the beach is like...it would be quite and a short-ish taxi ride to food.

I think people need decide what their most important need is, then ask for options. There are also heaps of rental sites you could have a look at several properties which appeal and ask us what we think.

On a side note - I am a beach snob and little about the sand it Sandy Bay attracts me. One also need a pier to get to swimable water. The snorkeling is grand, if one is a strong swimmer or has a kayak. I have stayed in Sandy Bay a time or too, mostly to check out the snorkeling.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Sandy Bay
Sandy Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Alberta
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Casa

Sorry.....I don't think Turtle Bay Resort has a website but you can look for it on vrbo or TA . Nomad is quite right, you need to decide what you want. I was thinking if I had two boys that age, which I did, I would not want to be stuck somewhere i needed a car or that was "too" quiet. Learning to dive would be an super fun thing for them or all of you to do.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Casa

CORRECTION: First sentence of Post #4. "There's a nice Duty Free in WEST END." Not West BAY!!!

Everything else correct. Sure wish TA had an editing mechanism that worked even after someone else posts or it's been longer than a couple of minutes! ARghhhhhhhh......

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Casa

Thanks everyone. This is why I love these types of forums when planing a vacation. We're now looking at one called Island Dream House and Villas del Playa. Based on the suggestions these may be in a better area for our group.

Thanks again.

John

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,645 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle Casa

Island Dream House says the location in West Bay but one of the reviews says Orchid Beach. I think I have already mentioned this area. The reviews are good though I am still concerned about the beach itself, perhaps they have additional sand or have cleaned it up heaps since I was last there. I remember rocks, pebbles and a sorta mud. Is the creek still there?

Villas del Playa is condo complex much closer to West End, maybe a better choice for your 18 year olds. I am concerned about the noise level from Barefeet Bar, perhaps others can comment.

Both of these properties are between West End and West Bay, which means they are both on the foot traffic route along the beach. The sand area of the beach is far larger and much nicer at Playa but the quiet of Island Dream appeals as well. Island Dream looks to be a stand alone house where Playa, yuk condo. :0)

Hmm you can walk to West End day or night from Playa. Transport after dark maybe more of a challenge from Dream and walking after dark, may not be a good idea between possible bandits and the rocks one need scrabble over. I have walked West End/West Bay heaps of times but as a lone female, I have never done it after dark.

Tough choice, condo close to West End with possible noise or a house with possible transport challenges, quieter and a questionable beach... I am not sure I could choose. :0)

My personal opinion, mileage may vary.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
688 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle Casa

Nomadic, Barefoot Bar is closed. So no noise issue with that anymore.

Reply to: Turtle Casa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan