We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft warning ⚠️

Carson City, Nevada
1 post
Theft warning ⚠️

We just spent an amazing week in Roatan (September 30 - October 7th 2017)

But unfortunately my trip ended on a bad note.

Upon departing Roatan I was a victim of theft by the secondary security screeners at the airport! They stole $500 US dollars from my wallet while searching my bag.

Unfortunately by the time I realized my money was missing it was to late! My plane was leaving and I didn’t have the time to do anything about it. This left me feeling sick and violated. These were “security” personal!

I wanted to let everyone know what visitors potentially face when coming to Roatan!

42 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

Darn - that's awful. Can you tell us more about what happened? Were you pickpocketed?

willington,ct
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

Most of the time they search in front of you. Was this the case?

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
3. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

I'm sorry to hear of your most unfortunate experience. I often get stopped at the secondary screening. Chocolate candy bars or stacks of money in a paper bag will raise a red flag. (I'm pretty sure they were hoping for a stack of $100's, but I always only have $1's and $5's.) They always go through my carry-on with me.... as I watch every move they make. I confirm every action. And they watch every reaction.

Can you give us any information on how or when it happened?

Edited: 10 October 2017, 21:04
Roatan, Honduras
1 post
4. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

Hi, my name is Karen Ludlow I am the Director of Member and Airport Services for the Roatan Tourism Bureau. Could you please send more information regarding this incident to info@go2roatan.com this is the email account for the tourism bureau. The type of information required is where exactly this happened in the airport, what time, man or woman security officer anything will help. I will take all the information to the head of security and the head of the airport once I have all the required information.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

RTBgo2roatan, This is wonderful news!! what a grand thing for you to offer!!

Back in the day, when there were no direct flights while going through security one of the guys snagged a snickers bar. I didn't notice til I got home. Silly me!! you can bet pay far more attention now than I I did.

If ever there was a good reason for a hidden money belt, this would be it.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
700 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

I volunteer at the airport and Karen is my supervisor (who is also a volunteer), and I brought this to her attention. We work closely with all airport services including security. So hopefully we will get to the bottom of this very soon. If you do ever have issues at the airport, please let us know, we are here to help.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

Wow, that's really unfortunate. Shawnda, I've never noticed, are there cameras in that area?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
320 posts
123 reviews
8. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

Thank you for sharing this unfortunate theft. We have a trip planned to Roatan in a handful of months. This will keep me on my toes during any airport searches. We will keep all cash in our pockets. Very cool that Shawnda and Karen are looking into this! Good looking-out ladies!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
9. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

DON'T keep your cash IN your pockets. YOU have to go through an X-ray machine -- and take everything out of your pockets. Loose bills and coins will be placed in a tray and will got through its own "tunnel." (I've always been curious as to what really goes on in there! LOL)

Put your cash in your carry on, perhaps in a zipped NON-see-through bag/pouch, not a wallet or something that screams, "Money Place!" If you get stopped for a secondary check, just watch closely. And don't get huffy or angry. Patience is a virtue. :-)

This is just general advice, no matter where your destination. Happy travels!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
320 posts
123 reviews
10. Re: Theft warning ⚠️

Hmmm....I always keep it in my pockets and have (everywhere else we traveled) been able to just hold in my hands while being x-rayed. Damn, I don't feel comfortable having cash out of my site. Thanks for the heads up on what to expect mamajelli !

Reply to: Theft warning ⚠️
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations