We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low n' Slow season in Copan

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
361 reviews
191 helpful votes
Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

I understand that May - June is low n' slow season in Copan with few tourists which means no crowds at the ruins, quick service at restaurants + cafes + lots of chances to meet + greet the friendly, laid back locals. All true? Any insider tips from Copan afficionados?

8 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
454 reviews
300 helpful votes
1. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

to be frank other than during semana santa, I've never seen copan crowded enough to worry about getting into restaurants or cafes, or meeting the locals. it doesnt seem to get the big groups of americans on mayan/central american bus tours that it did a few years ago.

for budget accommodation I always recommend casa de cafe, the breakfast alone is worth the price for bed n breakfast and the hosts are very nice. for more money I highly recommend hacienda san lucas, it positively oozes old world charm and character. even if you don't stay there, dinner is a must, get there early enough for pre-dinner cocktails on the lawn while enjoying the beautiful views of sunset over the valley below

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
361 reviews
191 helpful votes
2. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

... yep ... Copan Rocks!

Friendly locals, uncrowded ruins, pleasant village atmosphere ... one of “ the “ must do places to visit in Central America!

Kootenays
Level Contributor
620 posts
24 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

Is there any news of whether they'll get the airport operating on a regular basis.

Edited: 3 years ago
Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
101 reviews
64 helpful votes
4. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

We were in Copan Ruins in June and we had the ruins practically to ourselves. The town was a bit busier but nothing to speak of. That said Honduras in June was the hottest of anywhere on Earth I've ever been. Especially in the tunnels at the ruins! And there were people excavating down there! Bring a Camelback or other water pack. You will need it.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
101 reviews
64 helpful votes
5. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

Also a suggestion to check out the Luna Jaguar hot springs. It was a bumpy road to get there, but a magical experience, especially at night which is when we went. I've written reviews on Trip Advisor about our Copan experiences if you are interested.

Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

While the town has a good tourist infrastructure, I don't think it gets particularly crowded most of the year which makes it very pleasant.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
361 reviews
191 helpful votes
7. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

Airport has been closed since the ribbon cutting a few yrs back - no plans tobopen up to flights anytime soon.

Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Save

They never really got the airport going for commercial traffic in the way they expected. I believe there are still private planes landing there.

Reply to: Low n' Slow season in Copan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.