We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

Hello,

just a quick couple of questions:

- what is the best way to get to Luna Jaguar? (there will be 3 of us, we'd like to go around 5pm and return around 8:00pm)

- how much is the entrance fee to the Ruins and Museum of Sculpture?

- where can we get the guide and how much does the guide costs?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

There are several ways of getting there. The cheapest is to hire a tuk tuk (3 wheeled motorized taxi vehicles). You should arrange for them to come back for your pickup at an agreed upon time. Via Via, a hotel/restaurant/bar/travel agency offers rides. And Luna Jaguar has a partnership with Hotel Patty in town, where you can actually speak to a Luna Jaguar representative. They can arrange transport, sell services, answer questions etc...

Entrance fee for the Park is about $15. Another $7 for the museum. Tunnels are another $15 if you are interested.

As for guides, there are licensed guides available at a booth at the Park entrance. They are also usually walking around the Visitor Center area looking for customers. I think they go for about $30-$40 for a basic tour. The problem is that you don't really know them or know if they are personal, knowledgeable, or speak clearly until you are already on the tour. I know some people that had a great experience hiring a guide at the Park, and some that said they wouldn't do it again. Depending on your budget, it might make sense to hire someone that comes highly recommended. They will usually (but not always) cost more, but at least you will have some idea of what you are getting for your money.

Copán is the most artistic city of the Maya, and in terms of archaeological discoveries, one of the most important of all the Maya archaeological centers. In my opinion, it is well worth the effort. Have a great trip!

Edited: 3 years ago
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

@Craig Adkins thank you for this information!

One more thing... We will be arriving on Sunday and all the banks n Copan Ruins will be closed. I am going to check today if I can get Lempiras in Antigua, Guatemala. If not, do you have any recommendations?

Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

In the town of Copán Ruinas, many places (but not all) will take Guatemalan Quetzals and US Dollars. There are also ATMs but I have found that they are not always working. If you can't find one in working order, you can usually exchange at the lodgings, but you may not get a very good rate. Visa cards are also accepted at most of the larger establishments.

Having said all that, if it were me, I would still try to get a very small amount while in Guatemala, just as a precaution in case you need it at the border or something else.

Copán Ruinas is a quaint, and cool little town. Lots of places to stay, eat etc. It does have some big hills so be careful where you pick to stay unless you like climbing uphill streets after a full day. Of course, some of the lodgings on the hill have a spectacular view of the Copán Valley and tuk tuks are plentiful at the bottom of the hill as well.

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

thanks, I will try to exchange money here in Guatemala.

Also, I have chosen airbnb 3 blocks from central park. I hope it will be safe and not too much of a hill.

I have one more problem.

I have read many reviews that the road to Luna Jaguar Resort is really rough. My host offered me transportation with a SUV car for 30$ per person (there will be 3 of us, in total 90$ for 20km - that's ridiculous!) he also offered tuk tuk for 1000L = 45$. 45$ for tuk tuk is again ridiculous price... besides tuk tuk can take 2 people, that mens we have to take two tuk tuks, and again, 90$..

Our itinerary won't allow us to take LJR shuttle, as it goes and returns too early. (Besides.. the shuttle to the resorts that are located 20km from the tourist city should be for free... but that's only my opinion... )

Do you know what are the real prices of the tuk tuks to get there or can you suggest and driver with a car to give us a ride there?

Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

Tuk tuk rates can be negotiated. A lot of them congregate on the edge of the plaza at the bottom of the hill below the Hotel Marina. That is where I would start. You will want to include their waiting for you, or coming back for you so you don't get stranded. If your tuk tuk driver doesn't show up at the pick up time when you are ready to leave, you can ask Luna Jaguar to call a tuk tuk for you for the return trip. However, I have been told that they cannot always get one so I wouldn't count on it. Also, you won't be able to negotiate the return price since he may be your only option and he will probably know it.

You may also want to try ViaVia in town which is a hotel/restaurant/bar/travel agency run by a multi-lingual Belgium man. I know in the past they have run regular shuttles to and from Luna Jaguar for a reasonable price. That will cost more than a tuk tuk, but it will be safe, reliable transportation, and you shouldn't have to worry about getting stranded.

Many of the hotels in town also offer "packages" for Luna Jaguar. They include various services at Luna Jaguar as well as transport to and from there. Again, certainly more expensive that a tuk tuk but everything will be taken care of without a hitch, and transportation will be door to door. Just another option.

While I know a fair amount about Luna Jaguar, I know a lot more about the Archaeological Park. If you have any questions about the ruins I will be glad to help if I can.

And yes, the road can be rough in places.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
361 reviews
191 helpful votes
6. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

Do not take a tuk tuk to the hot springs ... a waste of time + money. Best bet is the daily shuttle run by the Luna Jaguar Hot Sorings, $10 per person r/t. Hot Springs are lovely + the road is unpaved but not bad at all.

Do not pay more than $10 per person ... anyone charging inflated prices for hot springs transport does not deserve your business!

One can purchase Lps at the border or in the village of Copan Ruinas from money changers. In the village money changers are always at the corner next to Banco del Pais. Very safe + no issues to change money here. Mon - Sat one can change USD at any of the banks ... BAC is a good one.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
361 reviews
191 helpful votes
7. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

You cannot obtain Lps in Guatemala ... just at the border!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
361 reviews
191 helpful votes
8. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

A private car to the hotsprings should run apprx $50 - $60 for any number of passengers. You should never pay sny per person rate ... they are scamming you!

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
101 reviews
64 helpful votes
9. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.
Save

I can't imagine taking that road in a tuk tuk. It is beyond rough. We blew a tire and we were in a huge pickup truck. Take a shuttle or a private transfer. Your back will thank you.

10. Re: Luna Jaguar, Guides to Ruins and entrance fees.

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.