We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety travel question: Palenque to Flores to Copan

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
Safety travel question: Palenque to Flores to Copan
Save

I see the US government has the Peten region and Honduras at Level 3 (reconsider travel there) suggesting, if you must, flying into Flores, as opposed to the road. I haven’t seen anything on Copan. From Palenque to Flores, we have been looking at driving via the Mex-Guat border crossings at El Ceibo or Frontera /Bethel, in Jan 2020. I suppose things will only get more crowded, desperate maybe even, with the new border tightening. We would probably hire a reputable driver/guide. And then by road from Flores via Rio Dulce to Copan. Anybody done this lately? I saw the Feb 2019 post which sounds fine. Safety is not an issue until it is. Anyway to find out what is actually happening out there? The US govt is basing its rec’s on something.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
454 reviews
300 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety travel question: Palenque to Flores to Copan
Save

I haven't driven (I don't like driving in Honduras) but have been in Copan and the surroundings recently using buses and all was fine. I think you'll have a better chance of getting more up to date information as you get closer to January on the thorntree forum of the globetreker site. That site is primarily used by overland travelers, this site is mostly 1-2 week vacation tourists who fly and use taxis.

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety travel question: Palenque to Flores to Copan
Save

Thank you. I will watch those sites as well.

3. Re: Safety travel question: Palenque to Flores to Copan

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.